Making your own DIY Eye Cream is not only rewarding, it’s effective. I’ve chosen some potent anti aging ingredients that are going to help tighten the sensitive skin around the eyes, reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffy eyes and repair and rejuvenate skin cells. In this post, I will teach you how to make a fluffy, creamy eye cream that you’ll love to add to your skin care routine!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
There are so many good reason you should make this eye cream recipe. One, you could not go to a department store or spa and get this amazing of an eye treatment. It’s that good. Two, making lotion is so rewarding and fun. Three, there are so many crazy wrong ingredients in over the counter anti aging products.
I’ve made this exact DIY eye cream recipe several times because it is one of my favorite homemade beauty products to make. I’ve formulated it full of the best anti aging, natural ingredients to firm, smooth and nourish the delicate skin around your eyes!
I chose natural, simple ingredients that have substantial antioxidant properties that will fight age causing free radicals. I’ve also chosen specific carrier oils and an essential oil blend that will reduce the appearance of fine lines and improve the skin tone around the eyes.
Why Make Your Own DIY Eye Cream?
Many of us are guilty of splurging on an expensive eye cream in the hopes our once youthful eyes will return again. We all want less under-eye bags, less dark circles and less wrinkles. I get it-I’ve done it. However, I’m here to tell you that those conventional eye creams are full of water, unnatural emulsifiers, preservatives and artificial fragrances. These types of harsh chemicals are not ideal for the skin, especially the delicate under-eye area.
Personally, I’d like to take matters into my own hands and let nature do her thing. Using plant based ingredients is an effective natural solution and very likely the best eye cream you’ll ever use.
DIY Eye Cream Ingredients:
Rosehip Seed Oil penetrates deeply into the lower layers of the skin where it regenerates cells and increases collagen production. It is rich in vitamin C, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and retinoic acid. Studies have shown rosehip oil brightens skin and fades dark circles! It has also been known to fade age spots and reduce the appearance of broken capillaries.
Green Tea contains caffeine. It is full of antioxidants and has anti inflammatory properties to help soothe and calm skin. Caffeine will actually tighten skin, too! I’m sure you’ve heard of cellulite treatments containing caffeine. That’s because caffeine is a diuretic. It will dehydrate fatty cells so that water will disappear from the surface of your skin. Caffeine is a vasodilator, which means it tightens skin. Green tea also helps regenerate and repair skin cells.
Carrot Seed essential oil contains a HUGE amount of age fighting antioxidants, vitamin C and Vitamin K. It has been found to enhance the body’s immune response to UV rays, which can decrease sun damage from UV exposure. My favorite benefit of carrot seed oil is that it is so healing and it rejuvenates skin cells. In fact, carrot seed has the ability to stimulate cell growth and repair damaged skin. It is a common ingredient in eye treatments.
Lavender essential oil is healing and moisturizing as well as anti fungal, antibacterial and antiseptic! Why I add it in this cream is for the smell. It has a fresh smell that cuts the scent of carrot!
Sweet almond oil is full of vitamins D, E, B1, B2 and B6, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Almond Oil is light and absorbs easily. Using a few drops of almond oil daily can greatly reduce dark under eye circles under the eyes. It is helpful at nourishing dehydrated skin. Almond Oil is said to be the closest to the oil found in a babies skin!
Vitamin E helps fight wrinkles and has a firming effect on the skin. An added bonus with adding vitamin E is that it helps prolong the shelf life of any product you add it to.
More Anti Aging DIYs You Might Like:
- coQ10 Seabuckthorn Facial Oil
- Squalane Serum
- Dry Skin Mask
- Pink Rose Cleansing Balm
- Lip Line Eraser Roll On
What You Need To Make DIY Eye Cream:
- 2 Glass Bowls (Pyrex measuring cups work best)
- 2 Medium Pots
- Thermometer (find it HERE)
- Immersion Blender (find it HERE)
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Glass Containers (jars or pump bottles)
- 1/4 cup Green Tea (find it HERE)
- 1/8 tsp. NeoDefend (find it HERE)
- 1 tbsp. Rosehip Seed Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 tbsp. Sweet Almond Oil (find it HERE)
- 1/4 tsp. Vitamin E (find it HERE)
- 1 tsp. Emulsifying Wax (find it HERE)
- 1 drop Carrot Seed Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 3 drop Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE)
I have created a much more in-depth tutorial on lotion making if you need more directions.
- 1/4 cup Green Tea
- 1/8 tsp. NeoDefend
- 1 tbsp. Rosehip Seed Oil
- 1 tbsp. Sweet Almond Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Vitamin E
- 1 tsp. Emulsifying Wax
- 1 drop Carrot Seed Essential Oil
- 3 drop Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 Glass Bowls or Pyrex Measuring Cups (2-4 cup)
- 2 Medium Sized Pots
- Immersion Mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Glass Containers (jars or pump bottles)
- Brew a cup of green tea.
- Fill two medium sauce pans about half way full of water.
- Place a glass bowl with a spout in each pot and turn on stove to medium heat.
- Add wax, rosehip seed oil, vitamin E oil and sweet almond oil to one pot.
- Add green tea and NeoDefend to the other pot.
- Heat both mixtures until the emulsifying wax has totally melted.
- Check temperatures of both pots with a thermometer. **BOTH mixtures must be the same temp before you combine them or your cream won’t set.**
- When both your oil mixture and water mixture reach around 130 degrees, pour your water mixture into your oil mixture.
- Use a hand held blender and mix your cream.
- Continue to mix periodically (every 10 minutes or so) until you notice that water is no longer separating on the bottom. This tends to take about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once fully mixed, add essential oils then pour into containers.
- This recipe makes 4 ounces. This cream is light and can be used morning and night. It works great under make up.
- I recommend buying 2 2 ounce glass jars and storing one jar in the fridge until you're ready to use it. This will keep your cream fresher longer.
- If you have a skincare fridge, this under-eye cream would be even more effective applying it cold to reduce even more eye puffiness.
I find most of my bottles from Specialty Bottle or Amazon. Below or some fun containers you might like.
- Find 2 ounce glass jars HERE.
- Find a 4 ounce glass jar HERE.
- Find 2 ounce treatment pump bottles HERE.
Making creams can be tricky, but they are so worth it! Plus, you’ll have the peace of mind knowing that every ingredient in your finished product you chose and you know about. Beauty companies do not have to disclose every single ingredient on their labels.
This DIY eye cream is rich and fluffy and will absorb quickly and penetrate into the deeper levels of your skin delivering much needed nutrition for healthy skin.
Taking care of the delicate skin around the eye is vital in fighting the appearance of wrinkles and fading lines that have already appeared.
Always be very gentle around your eyes. Dab a small amount of cream around the eye being careful not to push or pull on the skin. Feel free to apply this cream where you need it most.
I don’t sell creams in my Etsy shop but I do offer my Anti Wrinkle Eye Stick Roll On that contains some of these ingredients and then some. It is an incredible product and since it does not contain water, it is POTENT. Shop it HERE.
P.S. This recipe is the same firming eye cream recipe it’s always been-I like to remake my recipes and update pictures from time to time.