Do I have an exciting article for you! I have been pouring over research on the benefits of taking baths with salts. Seriously-Epsom salt, where have you been all my life?? The main benefit for salt baths is DETOX. I’m all about detox.
Most people are full of toxins due to eating processed food, chemicals in cosmetics and household products and lack of healthy habits like exercise and drinking water. Toxin build up can really tax the immune system and organ function.
On a superficial level, toxins rear their ugly heads through cellulite, acne, puffiness and even skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and rashes. Of course we should all eat better, drink more water, exercise and cut down our exposure to chemicals to rid our bodies of toxins, but that’s all easier said then done.
How about we commit to taking 2-3 salt baths a week? That’s an easy commitment if you ask me!
The skin is our largest organ. It’s function is to absorb, filter and deliver. The skin is the window to our internal health. When someone suffers from skin conditions that is a sign that something is wrong internally. Our skin comes in contact with everything. That’s why detoxing is so very important.
There are two popular options for salt baths-Epsom salt and pink Himalayan salt. There are a few differences between the two. Epsom salt is very easy to find. You can find it in the pharmacy section of any store. The salt usually comes in a milk carton and is very inexpensive. The two main minerals in Epsom salt are calcium and magnesium.
Himalayan salt is a bit harder to find and more expensive. This is because it contains 82 other nutrients besides the ones found in Epsom salt. Himalayan salt is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. Himalayan salt produces negative ions. When these ions heat up they attach to positively charged ions in the air such as pollutants, dust, allergens and bacteria and neutralize them. Hence, Salt lamps. Himalayan salt is known to reduce inflammation which is so helpful for those suffering from arthritis or muscle soreness.
Bath salts contains magnesium, sulfate, potassium, calcium, bromide, and of course, sodium. All these minerals are extremely beneficial to our bodies. These minerals are easily absorbed through our skin and can actually detox and support our bodies on a molecular level.
When we think of organs that detoxify our systems, the liver, kidneys and the gut first come to mind, but did you know the skin is a detoxifying organ? Salt baths encourage the skin to pull toxins out of the body and excrete them through the skin. Epson salt is full of magnesium. Most people are deficient in magnesium and this leads to toxin build up, constipation, low energy and even stress. Raising magnesium levels is one of the biggest benefits of taking salt baths.
Benefits of taking a Salt Bath
- Promote relaxation
- Promote better sleep
- Relieve water retention
- Soothe sore muscles
- Balance skin
- Increase circulation
- Accelerate wound healing
- Improve skin hydration
On a purely visual level-Espom salt can greatly improve the appearance of skin. Taking a warm bath opens the pores, allowing the minerals in the bath to thoroughly cleanse the skin. Bathing in a solution of warm water and bath salts will work to draw out impurities, pollution, oil and dirt from the skin. Bath salts can even be an effective anti aging tool! Regular salt baths can decrease the appearance of fine lines by plumping the skin and balancing moisture.
Now, let’s talk about adding essential oils to our salt bath! You can add essential oils to the salts to boost the efficacy of whatever issue you are aiming at.
- Peppermint-sore achy muscles and joints
- Eucalyptus-congestion and cold symptoms
- Citrus oils-strengthen capillaries, tighten skin and reduce water retention in cells. They increase circulation and prevent lymph accumulation.
- Juniper and rosemary oils-increase circulation and decongests sluggish and under active tissues
- Grapefruit oil-cellulite
Find organic essential oils HERE.
Now, enough with the facts-let’s figure out how to put this easy detox into action!
DIY Detox Bath Soak Recipe:
- 1-2 cups Epsom salt (find it HERE)
- 1/2 cup pink Himalayan or sea salt (find it HERE)
- 10-15 drops essential oils (find them HERE)
Tips and Instructions:
- Pour the above ingredients into warm/hot running bath water. Hop in and soak. Typically a good detoxifying bath should be anywhere from 20-40 minutes.
- Many people sweat profusely during their detox bath-this is exciting-this is the toxins coming out! I’ve found that keeping a cold wash cloth close to place on your forehead helps immensely.
- Now, your body will be working hard so when your soak is done, take great care when getting out of the tub. You very likely will feel very tired. Having 2 active children, I have to take my baths once they are in bed. Otherwise, they’ll be on their own. I kid.
- Be sure to bring a large amount of cold water (add some lemon oil for further detox) to drink while in the tub. Even though you will be excreting toxins through the skin, you also want to replenish your body and keep the toxins flowing out of your body.