You may have heard of a turmeric latte, also known as golden milk but did you know you can make one at home quite easily? If you haven’t tried one, you must. They are rich, warm and sweet. Turmeric might not sound like an ingredient you would want in your drink but when paired with other ingredients like cashew milk, cinnamon and honey, this latte tastes amazing! Plus, turmeric lattes are great for your health!
Inflammation in the Body:
Lately I’ve been very aware of inflammation. Inflammation is the root cause of so many health issues including rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, asthma, Alzheimer’s and even premature aging. Inflammation is an immune response which means it’s your body’s way of trying to heal itself. Western medicine focuses on treating symptoms, not addressing the root cause of a health issue, which in many cases is inflammation. Not to mention, most pharmaceuticals actually cause inflammation.
What exactly is inflammation? Inflammation is the body’s natural defense against damaged cells, viruses or bacteria. Often it results in a rush of blood to the compromised area of the body that comes with swelling and pain.
The Two Types of Inflammation:
There are 2 types of inflammation, acute and chronic. It should be noted that acute inflammation is a good thing. Acute inflammation means that your body is responding to a trauma in order to heal itself. Acute inflammation lasts only a few days and with out it, our body would not be able to recover.
Chronic inflammation can last for months or even years as a result of failure to eliminate the issue. It can be caused by diet, stress, being over weight, overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut and pollution. Chronic inflammation is very common and steps should be taken to avoid it and soothe it.
As I age, I become more committed to nurturing my body and more keenly aware that I have chronic inflammation due to gut issues and bad lifestyle choices. Going grain free has helped immensely. In the past I only cared about how I looked on the outside, but now it’s so much more about what is happening on the inside as well as feeling good.
Turmeric Health Benefits:
Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric.
- Strong anti-inflammatory. In fact, it’s so powerful that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
- Is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure as well as boosts the activity of your body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- Boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain.
- Improves the lining of your blood vessels which helps prevent heart disease.
- Crosses the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps treat symptoms of arthritis.
- Studies have shown that it is as effective as Prozac in alleviating depression.
These benefits are incredible and make me want to look into a turmeric supplement on top of the occasional turmeric latte!
Turmeric Latte (Golden Milk) Recipe:
1 .5 cups vanilla cashew milk
1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
1 tablespoon raw honey
1-2 teaspoon ground organic turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
small pinch of Himalayan salt
- In a medium sized pot, add all ingredients and heat on medium heat.
- While heating the latte, use a whisk to incorporate the ingredients.
- Once heated, pour into a mug.
- You can use a milk frother to further whisk the latte if needed.
You can substitute coconut milk or almond milk for cashew milk. I actually use cashew milk in my coffee as a creamer because, in my opinion, it is the creamiest of all the nut milks so it was a no brainer for this recipe! You can also replace the coconut oil with grass-fed butter.
I love being cozy and part of getting cozy for me is a warm drink. I try to stick to 2 cups of coffee a day or less so finding alternatives that are rich, fulfilling and actually healthy is quite exciting. My matcha latte recipe is one of my favorites but it’s a bit more labor intensive so the turmeric latte recipe is a nice alternative.
For more information on the power of turmeric and how to use it topically for glowing skin, you might enjoy my turmeric benefits post + easy mask recipe.
Let me know how you liked this turmeric latte recipe!
More Healthy Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthy Hot Chocolate
- Skinny Bulletproof Coffee
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Healthy Frappuccino
- Homemade Electrolyte Drink
- Starbuck’s Pink Drink Recipe