Many moons ago, when I worked as an aesthetician, I prided myself on creating an “experience” for my clients. It was important for me to not only improve the client’s skin-I also wanted to thoroughly relax them.
My facials consisted of a lot of steam, massage, exfoliation and nourishment with little to no extractions.
I no longer work as a facialist but still believe in the importance of monthly facials. However, time and funds don’t always make this possible for many of us so I thought it might be fun to give you an inside look from a former aethetician and learn how to re-create a professional, effective and relaxing facial at home!
Steps in a Professional Facial
- Cleanse-Use hot towel to remove cleanser *You can use an oil cleanser or soap based cleanser.
- Repeat cleanse
- Steam-10 minutes
- Light extractions if needed.
- Massage the face-remove massage oil with hot towel
- Mask with eye pads-remove with hot towel
- Apply a serum
- Moisturize/eye treatment
At Home Facial Essentials:
- Towel Steamer-I had a larger version of this in my spa room. Hot towels are an absolute must! They soften dead skin, open the pores and feel amazing! When I saw this 6 towel heater I had to share it-it’s so perfect for home use!
- Table Top Facial Steamer-Steaming is incredibly therapeutic. I love this table version because you can put it on your nightstand and lay down while you steam. Steaming also softens the skin, hydrates and opens the pores. Plus, a good steam can do wonders for the sinuses!
- Spa Wrap-You gotta have a cute spa wrap. This wrap allows you to take your exfoliator and mask down to your chest with ease!
- Hand Towels-These are luxurious and soft and perfect for removing product!
- Annmarie Pearl Illuminating Mask-I’ve been using this mask for some time now. It smells amazing first off but what I really love is that it leaves my skin looking so smooth and fresh. My crow’s feet are minimized immediately.
- Annmarie Ayurvedic Facial Scrub -A facial is not complete without a good exfoliation. You can mix this exfoliator with just water or you can use a cleanser. I’ve even mixed it with my oil cleanser. For a more intense exfoliation, Juice Beauty’s Apple Peel is one of my favorites.
- Mask Brush & Bowl-I love this mask and bowl. It’s not necessary but it makes everything feel more professional!
- J. Raincloud Organics 5 Piece Skincare Set-My skincare set includes an oil cleanser, rose toner, hyaluronic acid serum, facial oil with coQ10 and a anti wrinkle eye treatment. It is perfect for everyday use and I for sure recommend it for a spa experience. Each product is made with natural ingredients and they all have a unique, spa like scent!
- Organic Sweet Almond Oil-I use this light oil for massage. It has no scent but you can always add essential oils if you prefer.
DIY Face Mask Recipes For At Home Facials:
- DIY Sheet Mask
- Dry Skin Mask
- Dirt Maget Mask
- Vitamin C Mask
- Spirulina Probiotic Mask
- Yogurt & Argan Mask
- Tightening Yogurt and Honey Mask
At Home Facial Tips:
- Products you use for your at home facial are up to you but of course, I use the ones I make! I use THIS entire set. I find that after an at-home facial, facial oils penetrate more quickly and leave my skin silky smooth!
- About extractions-I hate them. As an aesthetician I would extract blackheads and pimples that were clearly ready to be extracted. Otherwise, forget it. It is just too easy to bust capillaries and damage skin. Resist the urge to extract. Get on a good oil cleansing regime and before you know it, you won’t have anything to extract!
- Dim the lights while you do your facial. Light candles even-it should be a relaxing experience and a dark room is a must.
- Don’t forget good spa music and get that diffuser going with lavender essential oil!
- Put essential oil in your steamer and on your hot towels!
- Don’t skimp on massage. Massage is excellent for blood circulation.
If you find you are really into at home facials, believe it or not-Amazon has some very affordable massage tables! This would be a fun addition to a girl’s wine night!!
Pamper yourself-it’s a form of self love and you’ll love how incredibly smooth your skin will feel after going through each step. A good facial can be literally an out of body experience if you take your time and do it right!
Shop the Post!