Before my DIY days, I loved to head to my local Bath & Body Works and load up on hand soap. They seemed to always be running a “buy 4, get the 5th free” kind of special. You can smell Bath & Body Works 3 stores down so it was never hard to overlook. I no longer get my hand soap at Bath & Body Works for two reasons. One, making your own hand soap is so easy. Two, like most things-anti bacterial hand soap is full of harmful chemicals. Today, I’m going to teach you how to make a hand soap that is every bit as fun and effective as a Bath & Body Works soap, plus it’s easy and toxin free!
You might ask why make your own hand soap? Unfortunately we are in a time where we are constantly using antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers. It’s a necessary evil during a pandemic but while at home, a homemade version is safer and gives your hands a break.
Antibacterial soap and hand sanitizers are full of harmful chemicals. Namely, triclosan. Triclosan’s list of side effects are a mile long. Several that stand out are that it is a hormone disruptor and causes damage to liver function. It is linked to allergies, eczema and asthma. Studies have shown that antibacterial hand soaps are ineffective to viruses like the flu and colds. Also, it’s been proven that antibacterial hand soaps leave behind strong bacterias such as MRSA.
There has been a long standing theory that we have been setting ourselves up for a Mega Virus that is evolving and becoming immune to antibacterial hand soap. I’m not so sure about that but it’s been something I’ve heard of several times.
Another BIG issue with hand soaps is the artificial fragrance. As I stated above, commercial soaps are FULL of fragrance. Synthetic fragrance is known to disrupt hormones. Essential oils are a much healthier alternative to both these harmful chemicals and are antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal!
DIY Hand Soap
1/4 cup Distilled water
- Add Water, Glycerin, Essential Oils, Leucidal Liquid and Aloe to a blender-blend on high for 40 seconds.
- Pour castile soap in a pump bottle (find it HERE) .
- Add blender mixture to bottle.
This recipe makes about 8 ounces. This recipe is a bit watery even with the thicker aloe. Guar gum will thicken up liquid recipes when blended. It will change the consistency of the soap from a gel to a cream. Feel free to add a teaspoon to this recipe if you prefer a thicker soap.
Essential Oil Additives
- Lemon Essential Oil does a great job at cleansing and de-greasing! It pairs well with bergamot, lavender, tea tree, and even warmer scents like sandalwood.
- Shield Blend (also known as Thieves, or OnGuard) is proven to fight against viruses and bacteria. It’s an absolute must during winter months. Homemade shield hand soap is in every bathroom during the flu season.
- Lavender Essential Oil provides extra moisturizing benefits as well as calming properties. Lavender pairs well with almost every oil!
- Tea tree and Lemongrass are a great combo and Tea Tree is one heck of a powerhouse essential oil when fighting bacteria, plus it smells so clean and fresh! Go easy on lemongrass though because it can burn.
>>Add 15 drops per 8 ounces.<<
This recipe is fast and simple and I love that it can be customized with essential oil!
For an even easier hand soap, check out my post on DIY foaming hand soap!