I’m going to be really honest with you at the risk of sounding vain-I’m concerned about wrinkles. I haven’t quite accepted that I don’t have 20 year old skin anymore. In the future I plan to settle down about this but for now I’ll just keep coming up with anti aging potions and this DIY face cream has become a big favorite of mine and helped to smooth and plump my skin!
This DIY face cream is not only moisturizing, it also is firming and will help even skin tone! Get ready, this is the mother of all “anti aging” moisturizers!!!
First off, let’s discuss one reason skin starts to age. In your late 30s, wrinkles suddenly look deeper because the skin’s natural oils decrease, the moisture barrier breaks down, and the skin dries out. This is why I focus so much on moisturizing. If you don’t replenish your skin’s oils, wrinkles will form. It’s amazing to me how different my skin looks when it is dry and dehydrated. Using the right emollient can make a massive difference!
Ingredients in DIY Face Cream
- Rosehip oil– Rosehip Oil penetrates deeply into the lower layers of the skin. It regenerates cells and increases collagen production. It is rich in vitamin C, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and retinoic acid, which studies have shown it brightens and tightens skin! Rosehip seed oil also helps restore skin’s elasticity, fade age spots, reduce broken capillaries, and balance oil glands. It is very beneficial to dry, irritated and mature skin.
- Cypress Essential Oil– Cypress Oil is an amazing oil-It has been used to treat incontinence because it’s tightening action is so strong it can be applied on the skin over the bladder to help the bladder to tighten. Wild huh? Cypress oil also improves circulation, strengthens blood capillaries, is antibacterial, anti-infectious, and anti-microbial. Wow! Cypress oil is amazing for varicose veins and broken capillaries. It’s firming and tightening action is what really excites me!
- Clove Essential Oil-Clove seems like an odd choice to put on your skin, I know. It’s a “hot” oil so we’ll only be using a tiny amount. The ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value is 1,078,700!! This tells you antioxidant capacity–Uh….. clove’s number is exceptionally high. Just in case you don’t know-antioxidants are a really good thing. Especially in the anti aging realm. Antioxidants attack free radicals in the skin that are there to harm and age skin.
- Geranium Essential Oil-Geranium is one of the top essential oils for beautiful skin. When in doubt-add Geranium. Geranium is great for regenerating skin and revving up circulation. It is extremely healing. It also promotes even distribution of melanin-which helps even out the overall tone of the skin.
- Pomegranate Oil-Pomegranate oil helps protect and restore collagen and elasticity. It penetrates deeply which makes it a fantastic oil for this wrinkle cream. After all, oils don’t help us if they can’t get deep into the epidermis. Pomegranate oil helps balance the skin as well as improve skin tone. It is high in vitamin C, moisturizes thoroughly and has high antioxidant properties.
- Avocado Oil-Avocado oil should be added to this recipe if your skin is really dry. Avocado Oil is a very rich oil that boosts this creams moisturizing ability. This oil is very high in Vitamin E. It is a powerful antioxidant that strongly fights free radicals. According to this study, avocado oil can increase collagen metabolism. Compared to other fruits, avocado has the highest amount of vitamin E. Vitamin E not only helps to moisturize but has anti aging qualities as well.
Preserving Your DIY Face Cream!
Distilled water must be used in order to keep your cream fresh longer.
I have included a preservative with this recipe. NeoDefend is considered certified organic and non-GMO. It is antioxidant and very gentle to the skin. Those of you weary of using a preservative must remember that it only makes up .75-1% of your product. You can read more about and purchase NeoDefend HERE.
Your cream should always be stored in glass bottles preferably dark glass. This will also keep your cream bacteria free longer. Any container that allows you to pump out your lotion is a good idea-this keeps you from depositing bacteria from your hands into your lotion.
DIY Face Cream Recipe
1 cup distilled water
How to Make Cream:
1. Fill 2 medium pots 1/2 way full with water.
2. Place a glass bowl with a spout in each pot.
3. Heat Wax and oils in 1 pot and water and neodefend in the other pot.
**Remember that oil heats up faster then water. Your goal is to get both mixtures at the same temp. before you can combine them so take care to not heat your oils to quickly-I raise the heat on my water mixture higher to balance out the difference.**
4. Once the emulsifying wax is melted and the neodefend has dissolved, remove from heat and mix the water into the oil.
**As a rule of thumb, both mixtures need to be about the same temperature when mixed. This temperature is typically around 160 degrees.**
5. Take a hand blender and mix your water/oil mixture for about 40 seconds to 1 minute. Let stand for 15 minutes then mix for about 30 seconds again. Once you notice that the water isn’t separating at the bottom of your bowl after not mixing for a few minutes, you are done mixing.
6. Once your mixture is no longer hot, add your essential oils then pour into containers.
7. Let containers set for 24 hours. Your cream will thicken in this time.
Always use high quality ingredients in your recipes. I have linked all the products I personally use.
If you prefer to apply an oil to your skin rather than a cream you can always omit the emulsifying wax, water and neodefend. This would be a wonderful facial oil!