Today, I’m sharing with you one of my most potent DIY oil cleanser recipes for beautiful skin! Since I initially made this anti aging DIY Oil Cleanser, I’ve re-made it twice because of how well it works and made it for several of you via Etsy! It is the best of both worlds-not only does it hydrate and smooth the skin, it also detoxes the pores and exfoliates due to the addition of clay.
When women ask me what my number one tip is for beautiful skin, the oil cleansing method is number one every time. If you haven’t tried it, you must. It transformed my skin. Whether you have oil/acneic skin or dry/aging skin, oil cleansing works to balance oil production. A close second is to ditch the lotion and use a facial oil.
Oil balance is so important to the health of your skin. Balanced skin is supple and plump. Along with balance, oil cleansing also detoxes the pores which leads to smoother, clearer skin.
What is Oil Cleansing?
You might be wondering what oil cleansing is. It is exactly what the name implies. You simply massage the skin with oil which breaks down makeup (including mascara) and encourages blood flow. Next you use a very warm cloth to soften dead skin cells and open the pores. Then you wipe away the impurities and enjoy skin that is left thoroughly cleansed and replenished!
Oil cleansing keeps those pesky dry patches at bay as well as that tight, irritated feeling that often comes from soap based cleansing. Oil cleansing is not only nourishing, it is extremely detoxing.
Because like dissolves like, oils purge the skin of dirt trapped in the pores by your skin’s sebum. By gently massaging, you are encouraging blood flow, helping the pores release impurities. Heat from the hot wash cloth encourages the pores to open as well as helps soften the impurities.
Why Make a DIY Oil Cleanser in Balm Form?
You don’t have to make a solid oil cleanser. However, I enjoy scooping out my oil cleanser-I find it is easier to use when it’s in a balm like form. Plus, when we add clay to an oil cleanser, it has to be suspended in something. If we added it to an oil it would just sink to the bottom.
You can simplify this DIY oil cleanser recipe by removing the beeswax, shea butter and the rhassoul clay and by putting the remaining ingredients in a pump bottle.
I highly recommend using clay though-it gives a bit of exfoliation and detox which is very helpful when it comes to properly cleansing the skin.
DIY Oil Cleanser Ingredients:
- Rosehip Seed Oil is one of the most effective anti aging oils that can help erase fine lines as well as fade the appearance of age and sun spots due to it’s high content of Vitamin A and C. Vitamin C also helps encourage collagen rebuilding!
- Castor Oil is the cleansing oil in this DIY and helps remove impurities from the skin. It is also known as a free radical scavenger!
- Shea Butter is a thick replenishing butter that can help renew collagen and is high in vitamins A and E.
- Safflower Oil is highly moisturizing and also removes dirt and oil.
- Camelina Oil is HIGH in fatty acids and Vitamin E making it a very effective moisturizer as well as a free radical fighter!
- Rhassoul Clay is higher in magnesium and other minerals then most clays and is said to give the skin a glow all while pulling out impurities from the pores. Clay can be drying for aging/dry skin types but rhassoul clay is gentle and perfect for exfoliation and detox.
- Beeswax helps to thicken up the cleanser making it more pliable. It also has anti inflammatory and protecting properties.
- Lavender Essential Oil is antioxidant rich which protects the skin from aging from skin stressors like UV rays and pollution. It is also very healing and reduces puffiness.
- Geranium Essential Oil is one of my favorite anti aging essential oils because it tightens facial skin and slows down the signs of aging!
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil is great for rejuvenating skin cells encouraging new, healthy cells to form.
DIY Anti Aging Oil Cleanser Recipe
- 1 TBSP. Safflower Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Rosehip Seed Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Camelina oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Castor Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Shea Butter (find it HERE)
- 3 tsp. Rhassoul Clay (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Beeswax (find it HERE)
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 8 drops Geranium Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 3 drops Carrot Seed Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- Fill a medium sized pot 1/2 full with water.
- Place a glass pyrex bowl with a spout in the water.
- Turn heat on medium.
- Add safflower, rosehip, camelina, shea butter, castor oil, beeswax and clay to pyrex bowl.
- Allow ingredients to fully melt.
- Remove from heat and add essential oil.
- Pour into a 4 oz. glass jar.
- As the cleanser begins to harden, continue to mix ingredients so the clay does not settle at the bottom.
- Scoop a quarter size of cleanser into the palm of your hand.
- Massage your skin for at least 1 minute. This cleanser is gentle enough to effectively remove eye makeup without burning.
- Apply a hot washcloth over the skin and let sit until lukewarm.
- Wipe the cleanser and makeup off.
- Rinse cloth with hot water and re-apply to the face, letting it cool.
- Follow up with a toner and moisturizer if needed.
- This recipe makes 4 oz. and has a shelf life of 6 mos.
Since this recipe is geared towards dryer skin types, I can speak personally about the benefits of this particular recipe.
My skin is very dry in the winter. I literally can not cleanse my skin any other way but with oils. With this anti aging DIY oil cleanser, my skin is staying hydrated and because of the addition of rhassoul clay, there is a slight exfoliation. My skin is soft and smooth and absorbing my facial oil much better!
If you are dry, I highly recommend making it for yourself!
I get all my ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs. They are simply the best. Remember that your DIY is only as good as your ingredients and to see good results, you need high quality oils, essential oils, butters and clays!!