I’ve been using essential oils for many years now, but Geranium is an oil that I just recently discovered. In my pursuit of knowledge of making your own skin care, I kept finding over and over how the Geranium essential oil skin benefits are vast. This might just be my new favorite essential oil for beauty!
Just recently I included geranium in my recipe for a Skin Firming Facial Cream. Geranium oil has the ability to help balance hormones, soothe stress and depression, reduce inflammation, encourage circulation, and lower blood pressure!
See, I told you, it’s a good one-read on to learn the miracles it does for skin!!
Geranium Essential Oil Skin Benefits
- Astringent- basically this means it contracts the skin, in other words, it tightens and firms! Geranium can actually tighten your skin and give you a smoother look. It can prevent your skin from sagging long term and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and delay premature aging!
- Cytophylactic- it encourages your skin to slough off dead skin cells and regenerate new cells.
- Cicatrisant- geranium oil is able to greatly reduce scars and spots. It revs up blood circulation which helps promote healing and even skin tone.
- Antibacterial and Antimicrobial-keeps wounds from getting infected as well as healing present infection. This is amazing news for people using geranium to heal acne!
- Vulnerary- this means geranium oil will speed up the healing process for wounds and cuts.
- Balances skin-Basically if you are oily or dry, geranium oil will bring balance to extreme skin types.
- Relieves water retention and swelling. Great for puffy eyes!
How to Incorporate it in your Beauty Regime:
- Apply 3-4 drops to your skin in the morning underneath your moisturizer.
- Add to your moisturizer.
- Apply one drop to each under eye bag.
- Diffuse for a mood boost!
- Rub on abdomen area for bloating relief.
As you can see, Geranium oil is one of the most effective essential oils for skin concerns as well as health issues. Once again, nature has delivered a far superior alternative to high dollar anti aging skin care products!
My favorite geranium essential oil is from Mountain Rose Herbs. Find it HERE.
Thanks so much for the information! I can’t wait to try Geranium oil!
Also if you feel a cold sore coming on put geranium on it and you will not get it!
I have noticed that Geranium oil kind of… stinks! Maybe it is just me or my brand? I do have the NOW brand Geranium and I compared it to Aura Cacia and a few other expensive brands my local store carries and they all smell the same. Its not even close to a rose-like floral smell. Is this just me?!
Ashlynn-It’s got a really strong smell that’s really florally. That’s so not a word. Anyway-my mother hates it too. I haven’t smelled your brand but I add it to my facial oil on Etsy and because it’s so strong I add a very small amount and cut it with lavender. You’re not alone! But-saying that, it could have gone bad. Oils do go bad, not very often or quickly but I’ve had a lavender that literally smelled like a skunk.
Just got geranium from Doterra and it smells so bad! I got it for acne scars so I will use it but Goodness gracious- its strong.
KB-Some people like it, some hate it! It is so strong but it is so good for the skin! It mixes well with rose or lavender. You might make a blend so it’s more bearable!
Hi, i have saggy belly from pragnancy, could i tighten it with geranium?
Angie-Unfortunately it won’t. After pregnancy saggy belly just takes time to return to normal. Toning loose skin is impossible unless you visit a plastic surgeon for a tuck or laser. Don’t loose heart-it just takes a while to go back. After my 2nd daughter I was really saggy so I dug in with Jillian Michael’s six pack abs. I felt and looked so much better once my tummy was at least toned. As far as skin care-I would really make sure to nourish that skin. Continue with a belly serum or butter or even just a lotion daily. You could always add geranium into whatever you are using but I don’t hold out too much hope with geranium alone.
i have loose skin when i walk it doesn’t look good my body is jelly like i don’t feel comfortable wearing skirt,will the geranium oil work and make it tight?
Zama-Unfortunately Gernaium will not fix this. It might help the appearance but will not tighten up loose skin.
Hi, I have read articles that it is not recommended to apply any essential oils (including tea tree and geranium) directly to skin. It should be diluted with a carrier oil in a 2% ratio. That is actually about 2 drops of EO to 100 drops of carrier oil. However, you are using 3-4 drops directly on skin first before applying moisturizer. Does seems a lot, so just wanted to clarify on that. Thanks.
I dont care for the smell of geranium what can I add to offset the smell. It seems to overpower the other oils in the facial serum.
Diane-Unfortunately, geranium is a really strong smell. I think lavender covers it decently though.
I love the moisturiser, I used it in a hotel in Agra India , but unfortunately I live in Italy and I’m having difficulties finding it here ..any ideas of how I can safely order some products ?
Geranium is quite strong but don’t forget it takes a week or so for essential oils to blend-a must for perfume oils. I put a bit my my body butter and round it out with other complimentary oils. The scent fades to a lovely blended fragrance. Its beauty benefits are worth playing with a blend.