Today I want to share with you one of the most effective DIY products you will ever make. A DIY hyaluronic acid serum on it’s own is an incredible tool to hydrate, plump and restore skin. Adding Wrinkle Defense Complex to your serum takes this HA serum up several notches. It’s easy to make, easy to use and you won’t believe how your skin will respond. This DIY hyaluronic acid serum is a staple in my anti aging routine.
You’ll be excited to know, this DIY is a major anti aging must-have! I made my first batch of my DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum with Wrinkle Defense several months ago and have used it ever since! This DIY is actually a request from a reader who pointed me in the direction of the Wrinkle Defense Complex from Lotion Crafter. She wondered if I had tried it and since I hadn’t even heard of it, I promptly did some research, found out it was safe and bought it! Turns out is a great addition to a hyaluronic acid serum making it a doubly effective skin serum!
You might have caught my original hyaluronic acid serum recipe. In that post I explain more about the ingredient itself and the basics on how to make your own serum.
Why Incorporate a Water Based Serum into Your Routine?
First off, I want to address something I learned lately. Dry skin is something I struggle with. However, despite the hundreds of DIYs on this blog, I’m a skin care minimalist so I tend to keep my routine very simple. I also gave up on facial lotions a while ago because I believe facial oils are so much more effective for dry skin. One key fact I was missing was that water acts as a vehicle to help drive the oils into the skin. This is why I’ve incorporated a water based serum to use before my facial oil to help drive my facial oil deep into my pores. Hence, this new DIY hyaluronic acid serum was born.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
This serum contains Hyaluronic Acid which is imperative for youthful looking skin. We actually produce hyaluronic acid but as we age, production drops off dramatically beginning at middle age. Hyaluronic acid grabs and holds on to water. Basically, young skin is well-hydrated. The water is what makes young skin look even, wrinkle free and healthy. Old skin is dehydrated, wrinkled and dull. Restore moisture in the skin and you can restore a healthy glow! It’s really that simple.
Hyaluronic acid comes in many different molecular weights. Low molecular weight can penetrate deeper and be effective in reducing the appearance of wrinkles long term but it can also cause irritation the deeper it penetrates. High molecular weight gives an immediate smoothing of the skin but it is not a long term result.
However, no matter what molecular weight you choose, study after study shows that skin hydration was improved 100% of the time.
Benefits of a Hyaluronic Acid Serum:
- Plumps fine lines and wrinkles!
- Repairs the barrier of our skin.
- Eradicates free-radical damage.
- Smooths and softens skin.
- Increases elasticity!
- Heals damaged tissue.
- Protects from UV rays.
Wrinkle Defense Complex:
Wrinkle Defense Complex is a powerful anti aging ingredient. It actually relaxes facial tension leading to a reduction in superficial facial line and wrinkles. It restricts, repairs and restores the skin’s appearance. This ingredient offers long term and short term benefits!
According to Lotion Crafter,
Wrinkle Defense Complexis an anti-aging compound containing a blend of 55% Argireline® and 45% Matrixyl™ 3000. Argireline® is a hexapeptide composed of amino acids. Matrixyl™ 3000 contains two matrikines, Pal-GHK and Pal-GQPR. Acting as messengers of cutaneous restructuration and repair, these two peptides work synergistically to restore and maintain the skin’s youthful appearance.
Wrinkle Defense Complex is soluble in water so it can not be used in facial oils. It can be used in water based products up to 9%.
It is odorless and watery, making it very easy to use.
DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum w/ Wrinkle Defense
- 1/4 cup rose hydrosol (find it HERE) or distilled water
- 1/8 tsp. hyaluronic acid (find it HERE)
- 1/8 tsp. leucidal liquid (find it HERE)
- 1 tsp. Wrinkle Defense Complex (find it HERE)
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE) *optional*
- 2 drops Geranium Essential Oil (find it HERE) *optional*
- 1 drops Carrot Seed Oil (find it HERE) *optional*
- I use a condiment bottle like THIS and add all the ingredients to it with a funnel.
- Replace the lid and shake.
- Put in the fridge for 4-24 hours so that the hyaluronic acid will dissolve and thicken.
- Place in 1/2 ounce-1 ounce glass dropper bottles.
- After cleansing and toning, apply 5-8 drops to the skin.
- Apply a face oil on top of the serum.
- Can be used morning and night.
Tips & Tricks for your DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- I prefer to use High Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid. It doesn’t penetrate as deeply as Low Molecular Weight but there is evidence that when HA penetrates too deeply it can cause inflammation. With HMW HA you will enjoy a plumped, dewy look to your skin immediately after applying but long term benefits aren’t there.
- Leucidal Liquid is the preservative and unless you plan to make a tiny batch and use up within a week, it’s a must. It’s natural and effective, has no smell and is easy to add. It’s also cheap.
- Instead of using rose water, feel free to use a distilled water.
- If you’re not interested in using hyaluronic acid as your base, you can use aloe vera gel. It will work nicely with the Wrinkle Defense Complex.
- Hyaluronic Acid tends to vary from brand to brand when it comes to thickness. My serum is always very watery but I don’t mind. I have linked the exact HA powder I always use so I can’t vouch for any others.
- Lavender, Geranium and Carrot Seed essential oils are optional. I love to add them because they are my favorite essential oils when it comes to the skin. Geranium is an excellent anti aging oil and Carrot Seed actually helps regenerate damaged skin cells.
- This serum can be used as your only moisturizer or in conjunction with a cream or face oil.
This is such an incredible beauty recipe that I decided to add it to my Etsy shop. You can find it HERE if you’d like to purchase rather then DIY! It can also be found as part of my 5 Piece Anti Aging Skin Care Kit which covers all your anti aging needs!
This DIY hyaluronic acid serum with Wrinkle Defense has become a staple in my skin care routine! I forgot how much I enjoy a DIY hyaluronic acid serum!! This is one powerful anti aging product that I hope you’ll make!