I have posted 2 other diaper rash recipes, but when I saw this particular recipe in my Hello Glow book (which I highly recommend) I just felt it was worth sharing because it’s very different from both of mine and my guess is, it would be highly effective. Visit Hello Glow’s blog HERE. You’ll love it!
This recipe does involve an extra step that in my opinion is worth the time. Infusing coconut oil with chamomile makes this recipe one heck of a powerhouse when it comes to healing and soothing! You can skip this step but it really is beneficial. This recipe also calls for bentonite clay which is great for keeping moisture at bay in a soggy diaper. Bentonite clay can be replaced by any other clay, especially kaolin. I changed the essential oil to lavender all though the original recipe calls for Roman chamomile. Either works to heal.
DIY Chamomile Infused Coconut Lavender Diaper Rash Cream w/ Clay
- Fill a medium sized pot 1/2 way full with water.
- Place a glass pyrex measuring cup in the water.
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 2 tbsp. of dried chamomile.
- Heat on medium heat for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and strain through a cheese cloth or use a spaghetti strainer with a coffee filter (see picture-however, I was out of coffee filters. Not using a coffee filter is not a deal breaker but it does help remove anything the chamomile leaves behind).
- Add shea butter and beeswax to the coconut oil and heat on medium heat until mixture is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add lavender essential oil.
- Allow mixture to cool and harden.
- Whip with a hand mixer and slowly add 2 tbsp. of clay.
- Once light and fluffy, transfer to a glass jar. I used 2 4 oz. jars. You can store the unused jar in the fridge until ready to use.
This recipe makes around 6 oz.
*The mixture will harden but once it comes in contact with your hands it will quickly soften and can be applied with ease.
I still love THIS recipe because it’s so incredibly simple and it’s a spray which can be soothing as well as healing. Plus, when diaper rash turns bottoms raw, touching it can be so painful for the little one.
This post concludes baby week! You would not believe how many people have messaged me asking if I was pregnant! LOL-I am not and hopefully that part of my life is done and dusted but I do know all too well, God has bigger and better plans then I could ever have.
In case you missed my other posts, go HERE for my home birth stories, HERE for essential oils during pregnancy and birth and HERE for a full round up of posts that pertain to pregnancy, babies and kids.