I LOVE this DIY or BUY series! I promise I’ll start scouting other products then my own soon but today, we’re going to discuss oil cleansing and my DIY Detox Oil Cleanser a.k.a the Oil Cleansing Cleanser! Funny side note, the original recipe is actually it’s own DIY or BUY but it was before I started this series and I didn’t call it that. It is actually my version of a more natural dupe of the highly popular and EXPENSIVE Eve Lom Cleanser. This cleanser costs upwards of $100 and contains mineral oil. It blew my mind when I started to disect it’s cheap, synthetic ingredients. I quickly realized how great a cleanser it would be if I could recreate it naturally! So that is what I did and now years later it is one of my most popular recipe as well as one of my most popular Etsy items to sale!
Personally, this cleanser is responsible for reforming my skin. When I discovered oil cleansing I was a bit leary that it would actually cleanse the skin, much less detox the pores. After incorporating oil cleansing into my nightly skin care routine, I quickly began to reap the benefits so many were raving about. This cleanser was what I began to oil cleanse with and while I’ve made several variations on the oil cleanser theme, I always come back to this one. It’s gentle, nourishing and detoxes without stripping the skin of it’s natural oils.
DIY Detox Oil Cleanser:
- 1/4 cup apricot kernel oil (find it HERE)
- 1 tbsp. castor oil (find it HERE)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa butter (find it HERE)
- 1 tbsp. beeswax (find it HERE)
- 8 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 drops Clove Essential Oil (find it HERE) (optional)
- 5 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil (find it HERE) (optional)
- Heat apricot kernel oil, castor oil and cocoa butter and beeswax in a glass bowl, placed in a pot of water. Only turn your stove top to medium heat.
- Once the butter and wax is fully melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add essential oils and pour into a 4 ounce jar.
- Let cool until cleanser hardens-This could take up to 1 hours. Feel free to put yours in the fridge.
- Scoop out about a quarter size amount into your palm.
- Massage all over skin for 1-2 minutes.
- While massaging, run hot water over a soft wash cloth or a baby wash cloth like THESE.
- Wring cloth out and place over your face, pressing it into your skin.
- Once the cloth cools, run under hot water again and repeat step 4 1-2 more times.
Learn more about the oil cleansing method HERE and HERE.
Once again, this is one of my absolute favorite DIYs I’ve ever done. Like I’ve mentioned before, I only sale the products I can 100% back up. They are the ones that I personally love and feel are effective and safe. They are also the ones that get the most feedback so I know it’s not just me! Buy the Detox Oil Cleanser HERE.
Hi Jenni- I came across your blog on Pinterest and love that you have such simple and easy to follow diys.
Was just wondering can beeswax be replaced with emulsifying wax. Also for my essential oils was thinking of a blend of bergamot, grapefruit pink and ylang ylang. Would be great if you could help me with the amount of each essential oil I can put in.
Camellia-You can but emulsifying wax is not beneficial to the skin like beeswax. It is really meant to bind water and oil into a cream. I would use beeswax in this recipe. Yes, I like your blend of e.o.s! Be aware that citrus oils can cause you to be a little extra sensitive to the sun though. As far a proportions, I would but about 10 drops of bergamot and 10 drops of grapefruit and only 3 drops of ylang ylang-it’s very strong.
Can you sub avocado or any other oil for the apricot?