I think I’ve made it pretty clear how much I love Mountain Rose Herb for organic, eco-friendly ingredients for our DIY projects but today I’m taking it to the next level. I seriously have been bit AGAIN by the DIY bug and am planning so many DIYs! I literally ordered everything I was mildly interested in and now that it has arrived, I’m buzzing with all the DIY potential! I’ve gone through everything, researching what the ingredients are best known to do and it’s rather exciting.
Today is the first day of a very cold spring break and would you believe one daughter is in my bed with a low grade fever and my other daughter is at my parents. Hello, Spring? Since we’re not running around like crazy and the house is quiet, I figured I would take today to do some experimenting, but while I’m at it, I wanted to share some new and exciting oils, butters, clays and waxes I’m working with today!
- Hazelnut Oil– This oil is great for oilier skin types and absorbs quickly. It is very gentle and would be great for sensitive skin types as well. It has amazing astringent properties and is hydrating and balancing! Possibly a great oil for older, but oily skin types. Plus, it’s been known to help retain hair color-so there’s that random benefit!
- Hemp Oil–This is a super nutritious oil for the body and skin. It is high in fatty acids, amino acids and proteins. It also contains chlorophyll. It has a 0 rating on the comedogenic scale, meaning it will not clog pores. It has been known to be very helpful (like hazelnut) to balance, firm and clear aging acne skin types!
- Camelina Oil–This oil is HIGH in fatty acids and Vitamin E making it very effective against psoriasis and eczema. It has a good reputation in anti aging facial products and an even better reputation for rejuvenating the hair!
- Safflower Oil–A highly moisturizing oil, perfect for a body moisturizing oil or cream.
- Sesame Oil–I bought this after reviewing Butter Elixir. Apparently, sesame seed oil penetrates the skin very quickly and while it is nourishing, it doesn’t leave behind a greasy feeling.
- Pumpkin Seed Oil– Known for it’s healing properties, it contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins A and C, zinc, and other trace minerals and vitamins. It is deeply moisturizing and soothing as well!
- Black Seed Oil (cumin)–I’m excited to try this oil for it’s ability to regrow thinning hair! Think-reformulated brow serum and scalp treatment!
- Rhassoul Clay-If one of my DIYs is clay based, I always use French Green Clay so I thought it was time to mix it up a bit. Rhassoul is higher in magnesium and other minerals and is said to give the skin a glow all while pulling out impurities.
- Bentonite Clay–This one is probably the most popular clays and is a powerful healing as well as a detoxifier. When water is added, it actually has an electrical charge! Plus, clay can be used on the scalp and hair for great benefits so I’m going to explore that
- Caranuba Wax–Is a vegan wax that comes form the Brazilian Palm tree otherwise known as the “tree of life”. I wanted to experiment with this vegan alternative to beeswax. It’s much harder then beeswax with a higher melting point so I’m going to need to experiment on how to make this work with balms!
- Mango Butter–I’m excited to try this butter because it is soft like shea but with no smell and apparently it penetrates the skin quickly. I rarely make body butters due to how greasy they feel. So first DIY up will be a body butter with this more of this butter rather then shea or cocoa.
As I’ve said many times-when doing skin care DIY, your product is only as good as your ingredients. Garbage in=Garbage out. Even though Amazon Prime is OH SO convenient, I make it a point to get 90% of my ingredients from Mountain Rose Herb. I don’t worry about where or how they are sourcing their oils, aloe, hydrosols, clays, butters etc. I know they provide the highest quality free from pesticides, fillers or GMOs. You don’t always know what you’re getting when ordering from the hundreds of different oil companies on Amazon. I don’t know about you, but if I’m going to spend the time and brain power on making my own skin care, I want it to be effective (and clean)!
I hope I can get myself back on track with DIY skin care because it truly is such a wonderful hobby. I have found so many natural skin care and makeup companies that are safe, but there is something about creating something from scratch. You know every ingredients (and can pronounce them), you know how it was made and I believe there’s power in putting a little bit of your own happiness into each project!
Shop all of Mountain Rose Herb’s amazing ingredients HERE plus their website is full of more info. on each of their ingredients! Stay tuned for fresh DIYs coming soon!