Here we go again-another post about pumpkins. With fall well underway, you are inundated with recipes and recommendations all centered around pumpkins, am I right?! In fact, even I-who has sworn off high acid coffee, found myself in line at Starbucks last week ordering a pumpkin spice latte! Insert 12 eye roll emojis. Tis the season. Anyway, if you haven’t had enough pumpkin talk go HERE for my pumpkin recipe round up and read on to learn more about how pumpkin seed oil can greatly enhance the health of your skin plus I’ve included my new fave DIY skin care product-a pumpkin seed oil serum!
Pumpkin seed oil is full of nutrition for the skin. Vitamin E, zinc, omega 3s & 6s, selenium, vitamin A and vitamin C are all present in pumpkin seed oil. Pumpkin seed oil is an extremely versatile oil meaning that it is beneficial for all skin types, including sensitive skin as well as acne prone skin!
Benefits of Pumpkin Seed Oil:
- High in antioxidants-fights signs of aging.
- Selemium and zinc are great for fighting acne!
- Zinc haps maintian collagen levels.
- Vitamin A stimulates cell turnover.
- Fatty acids (omega 3s and 6s) deliver mega hydration!
- Soothes inflammation.
- Vitamin E reduces scarring and improves skin texture.
- Increases circulation.
- Selenium provides UV protection.
- Improves oxygen levels which leads to accerated healing.
Lavender Essential Oil– I add lavender to everything because it literally does everything. It kills bacteria, accelerates healing and smells amazing! It’s also great for reducing redness and calming sensitive skin.
Frankincense Essential Oil- I believe Frankincense literally has magical powers. The biggest skin boosting benefit is tightening. Frankincense is also anti cancer and can be so beneficial with skin cancers and healing. Read more HERE.
Geranium Essential Oil-Such a good essential oil for the skin. It is great for encouraging cell turnover, revving up circulation, tightening pores, reducing puffiness and accelerating healing. The best skin benefit of geranium is that it balances the skin. Balance is the key to healthy, smooth skin. Read more HERE.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil-Carrot Seed Oil is great for beautifying the skin. First off, it provides sun protection and helps reverse sun damage. It also is high in vitamin C which encourages collagen production! I also love adding carrot seed oil because it helps reduce puffiness as well as rev up circulation. Read more HERE.
Sea Buckthorn oil is the ultimate anti aging oil. It is not an essential oil but because it is so potent and very orange in color, I use it sparingly in my DIYs. It’s also a higher priced ingredient. Sea Buckthorn Oil contains 60 free radical fighting antioxidants!! Hello-major anti aging benefits!! Like carrot seed, it also combats sun damage and provides SPF. I also love that it helps to regenerate skin cells encouraging dead skin to slough away. Find out more about it HERE. Buy it HERE.
Pumpkin Seed Oil Serum:
- 1 TBSP. Pumpkin Seed Oil (find it HERE)
- 1/2 TBSP. Jojoba Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TSP. Sea Buckthorn Oil (find it HERE)
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 3 drops Geranium Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 2 drops Carrot Seed Oil (find it HERE)
- Add all ingredients to a 1 oz glass serum bottle (find it HERE). I find a small funnel helps-find one HERE.
- Apply to the skin each night after cleansing and toning.
- Allow serum to penetrate the skin for at least 10 minutes before applying other products.
- Follow up with your usual night cream if needed. However, this serum can replace your moisturizer.
Happy fall and feel free to pass on any other great pumpkin posts and recipes in the comments below!!
P.S. I love jojoba oil for all skin types so that’s why I chose it for this DIY but you could add any carrier oil you like. Sweet Almond Oil is great for dryer skin types. Apricot Kernal Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil and Grapeseed Oil are all great alternatives too!