So in the last few months I have been loving a certain facial spray. I feel like it goes a long way to balance the skin, further hydrate and even calm the skin, preparing it for a moisturizer. Many people skip a facial spray or toner because they don’t understand how beneficial one can actually be for you skin. In fact, I was kind of one of those people. Well, I say that, really I’m just cheap and would rather spend my money on a moisturizer or a treatment rather then anything else. It wasn’t but a few months ago that I really got on the toner train!
Toners are one of the best and the easiest skin care diys you will ever make. It doesn’t take a chemist to make a really effective one. With wonderful alcohol free witch hazels and pure hydrosols all you have to do is add some essential oils and you have an insanely effective toner.
Why should I use a toner?
- First and foremost, toners are meant to balance the skin. When I say balance, I mean restore pH. You might recall THIS post I wrote a while back about the importance of pH of the skin. In a nutshell, when your skin’s pH is off, you are extremely prone to skin conditions you don’t want. Sometimes, acne, blackheads, dryness, excessive oiliness, and unevenness can be a result of an imbalance in the skin. Once you bring your skin into balance, it doesn’t take much time for your skin to straighten up! Because cleansers usually have a high pH in order to dissolve dirt and oil, a toner can help restore pH after cleansing.
- A toner, like it’s name, tones the skin. It constricts or tightens the pores. That’s why a toner is used after cleansing. It actually can close up clean pores, protecting the pores from dirt.
- When applied with a cotton pad/ball it can further cleanse the skin by swiping away dirt and oil that you might have missed while cleansing.
- Toners can control excessive oiliness as well as hydrate excessive dryness depending on which ingredients you use.
- Toners can calm stressed and inflamed skin.
My favorite type of toner is witch hazel. It’s an amazing plant with anti inflammatory and healing properties. Read more about witch hazel HERE. Thayer’s makes so many infused witch hazels that are so fun to try out! Plus, they are so affordable, organic and alcohol free. You can find witch hazel with lemon, aloe vera, rose, lavender etc.
I also love hydrosols. A hydrosol is basically an infused water. Mountain Rose Herb has hydrsols infused with rose, lavender, orange, chamomile, cucumber, neroli, peppermint etc. Hydrosols are a great way to reap the benefits of essential oils but at a much lower price. Rose and Helichrysum are 2 essential oils that are hugely beneficial for the skin but unless you have a chunk of change lying around, these 2 essential oils are really so expensive.
So with hydrosol and witch hazel as a base for our toner, now we can add essential oils to further customize for specific skin concerns.
Here are my suggestions. Feel free to use any combo. you see fit. This isn’t rocket science and you won’t go wrong mixing different essential oils. Just pay attention to my suggested amount per ounce of toner.
- Sensitive-Chamomile or Lavender
- Oiliness-Ylang Ylang
- Regenerating-Carrot Seed
In my facial spray, I used 5 drops of lavender, 1 drop of geranium and 2 drops of cypress. I wanted something that would be hydrating, calming as well as beneficial for aging. I used Rose Hydrosol and Rose Witch Hazel in equal parts. I LOVE the smell of my spray. It is so refreshing! I have been using mine morning and night and love how it feels and what it is doing. It’s like a light treatment that is working with my moisturizer to support the health of my skin.
Find 2 ounce glass spray bottles HERE.
DIY Hydrating Rose Facial Spray:
8 drops essential oils
Remember-Your product is only as good as the ingredients you use. I always link the highest quality ingredients I can find because you are already saving serious money by making your own skin care-you don’t want to skimp even more and make something that isn’t going to be effective, right? Mountain Rose Herb has HIGH QUALITY hydosols and essential oils. Thayers is my witch hazel of choice and readily accessible on Amazon!
Oh and guess what? You can use this spray for sunburn relief and even diaper rash soothing! Witch Hazel is excellent for taking the itch out of bug bites as well!!
This is probably one of my most effective, and favorite DIYs. It works wonders for every type of skin plus you can’t beat how affordable and easy it is to make!
P.S. Feel free to use THIS witch hazel from Mountain Rose Herbs in order to make getting ingredients simple.