Detoxing the body is imperative for overall health. One quick and easy way to help the detox process is using an armpit detox mask. A pit mask can be helpful if you are experiencing odor due to switching to a natural deodorant or even not using one at all. The adjustment period your body goes through after using traditional antiperspirants can be rough since antiperspirants work by blocking the pores. Once these pores have become unblocked, a detox period is inevitable. However, making a pit detox mask can speed up the process. This diy recipe is easy to make and only contains natural, organic ingredients.
When you first stop using aluminum based antiperspirants, your pits begin to become unclogged. The unclogging process can be brutally stinky and turn many people off to going natural. Usually, after years of using harmful deodorants, your odor will be so much worse then if you hadn’t clogged your pores for years. Today, I’m giving you a DIY armpit detox mask recipe that will speed up the de-stinking process, helping you get well on your way to a healthier deodorant or no deodorant without the stink.
Most of us agree, a deodorant that works is pretty important! I’ve admitted many times that I gave up deodorant years ago and am not too worried about smelling-at least not anymore. I remember when I first stopped using a toxic deodorant, my body odor was quite alarming. I was so self conscious about it and quite alarmed at the smells I was emitting. Since then I rarely wear deodorant and rarely notice much odor. If I’m concerned about pit odor I have a more natural deodorant I use but mostly I freshen up in the sink and apply lavender mid day. However, applying an armpit detox mask helped transition me into my natural approach to armpit health.
What is Armpit Detox and Why Do It?
Armpit detoxes are often used when switching from conventional antiperspirants to more natural products with less harmful chemicals. Many claim there is a transition period where the bacteria in the underarms is out of balance which can cause extra odor. There is also the thought that using antiperspirants can cause a back up of bacteria.
The most common way to detox your pits is by doing armpit masks. Armpit masks typically consists of a clay, apple cider vinegar, essential oils and even activated charcoal. These ingredients help restore balance as well as pull out trace amounts of chemicals as well as odor-causing bacteria. You can help your body transition from a regular deodorant by applying an armpit detox mask 1-2 times a week.
There is no scientific evidence to back up that deodorants leave behind residue or clog the pores making body odor worse but to me it stands to reason that one could experience this. I know I did and I know that with time, my odor improved over time.
Why Do Pits Stink?
Pit smells are often a mirror of what we are eating. The more sugar, meat or refined carbs you eat, the more you will stink. Even healthy foods such as beans, onions, garlic, spices, legumes, broccoli and cabbage can cause underarm odor if your body has trouble digesting them.
Why Ditching Toxic Deodorants is IMPERATIVE.
When you stop and think about the job deodorant claims to do, you soon realize that blocking the pores over your lymph nodes in order to stop you from sweating is just not a good idea. With immune suppressing and endocrine disrupting chemicals directly on our lymph nodes, you are doing a lot of internal damage.
We were meant to be able to detox. The skin is our body’s largest organ and sweating is one way we detox. Stopping this process can trap toxins in the body allowing them to recirculate and cause harm. Lymph nodes are right beneath your armpits and are crucial to your immune system. You may notice lumps in your neck or underarms when you get sick. This is a sign your lymphatic system is working overtime to get you well.
Not only do conventional deodorants block the sweat glands, preventing crucial detox, they also contain crazy harmful ingredients!
- ALUMINUM-Most commonly linked to Alzheimer’s Disease and breast cancer in many studies.
- FORMALDEHYDE-A carcinogen used to preserve dead bodies. It is added to deodorants to kill germs.
- PHTHALATES-These are linked to hormone imbalance and infertility.
- PARABENS-Another hormone disruptor linked to breast cancer.
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL-Also known as antifreeze. Need I say more?
- ANTIBACTERIAL CHEMICALS-These kill beneficial bacteria we need to eat up odor. Plus, they are endocrine and immune system disruptors.
Benefits of Using a Armpit Detox Mask:
- By discontinuing the use of aluminum-based antiperspirant, the microbiome of your underarms can become unbalanced. By using apple cider vinegar in your armpit detox mask, you can actually balance the bacteria which will inturn cause less odor.
- Using clays and ACV will help remove dead skin cells. which could also be contributing to trapped odor.
- Clay will help remove any deodorant residue that may be left just beneath the surface of the skin after using pore blocking deodorant.
My Natural Deodorant Recommendations:
Often times I nix the deodorant all together and periodically clean my pits during the day. A little dab of essential oil and I’m good to go. This is by far the easiest way to control sweat but if you are fearful of your smell, I have a few suggestions below that will help.
Schmidt’s-I use this brand but I do find that if I use everyday I can get irritated. I often react to natural deodorants and end up smelling worse then if I hadn’t worn any but this brand keeps me fresh. Also, I like this brand because it’s now carried at Walmart and Target which makes it convenient.
Homemade Deodorant-This is my favorite safe deodorant. It does contain baking soda which can cause irritation over time so if you’re sensitive, omit it and add arrowroot powder in it’s place.
Spray Deodorant-I created this easy recipe to actually benefit the lymphs and pits with cancer killing Frankincense. Not only does it serve it’s purpose, it is healthy for your body.
Multipurpose Gym Spray-Love this one and I always carry it with me. It’s strong and will knock out odor.
DIY Pit Wipes-This is a simple DIY that involves cotton rounds that pack a bacteria busting punch!
Making the switch to a natural deodorant will be majorly beneficial in the long run-I promise! However, in the meantime, you can make a DIY armpit detox mask to apply to your pits that will actually speed up the process of detox by pulling nasties out of your skin. This mask is so easy to make and can be applied 3x a week (maybe more if the ACV doesn’t start to irritate your skin).
DIY Armpit Detox Mask:
- 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay (find it HERE or HERE)
- 1 teaspoon of Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar (find it HERE)
- 1-2 teaspoons of water
- 3 drops of tea tree oil (find it HERE) *optional
- Mix bentonite clay, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and 1-2 teaspoons of water.
- Stir until you get a smooth consistency.
- Spread an even layer on your armpits and let sit for 15-20 min keeping your arms up.
- Remove with a warm washcloth.
- Feel free to follow up with coconut oil which has antibacterial properties as well as soothe dry skin.
- If you experience skin sensitivity, you might need to decrease the amount of apple cider vinegar and increase the amount of water. The ACV is diluted but super sensitive skin can feel a bit of a sting when using it in the armpit area. You might also look into a gentler clay such as kaolin clay.
- Note that bentonite clay reacts with metal so be sure not to use a metal bowl or mixing spoon.
- This recipe can double as an amazing face mask if you have oily, non sensitive skin that experiences clogging.
Because the clay will increase blood flow, it will make your skin bright pink for about 20 minutes. You will also feel the blood flow pulsing under your arms. It’s a great thing-blood flow is being pulled to the surface as well as toxins!!
Ditching regular deodorants is an absolute MUST. With cancer on the rise (especially breast cancer) ridding your skin care routine of toxic ingredients and helping your body detox is one of the best things you can do. Plus, there are some other benefits to getting rid of toxic deodorant. First off, eventually you’ll smell way less stinky! Many women have reported they no longer have pit stains and the skin under the arms is much healthier!
I hope I’ve inspired you to revamp your underarm routine. It’s an important change to be made and with this DIY armpit detox mask, the transition is so much easier!