Thanks to lots of inspiration from One Good Thing By Jillee and DIY Naturals, I have gained some great inside on how to DIY all the products in my laundry room! The recipes I have found could not be easier and work better than store bought. Have I mentioned how much money I’m saving???
DIY Laundry Detergent Recipe
- 2 cups Super Washing Soap
- 2 Cups Borax
- 1 bar Fels Naptha soap
UPDATE: 8 years later and I’m sorry to say that I did not continue making my old laundry detergent. The only reason I quit is because it ruined my food processor. The Fels Naptha soap is tough to grind. You could shred it by hand though.
DIY Fabric Softener Recipe
- 1 quart of vinegar
- 1 tsp. alcohol
- 25 drops Lavender essential oils(optional)
DIY Bleach Alternative
- 3 quarts of water
- 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
DIY Bleach Pen
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 5 TBSP bleach
- In a small pot add cornstarch to the water.
- Mix it until the cornstarch has dissolved.
- Turn on the stove and stir until it begins to boil.
- Once it boils, turn off the stove and let it COMPLETELY cool.
- Add 5 TBSP of bleach and mix.
- Add to a condiment bottle.
*FYI* My mix was a little thick so I added tiny amounts of water until I got the consistency I wanted.
As you can tell-I really like to make things pretty. A clean organized cabinet with my homemade goodies that have cute labels just makes me happy. It gives my life order, but that’s just me.
If you want to create your own pretty labels I have a tip-I buy labels from Avery on Amazon. I’ve tried out their waterproof labels and they are OK but they don’t hold up for long. I put a strip of clear packing tape over all my labels that sit by the sink or could potentially get wet. It works great! You can also design your own labels and create great quality water-proof labels at Sticker You.
So, let’s recap-this is an easy conversion-you are going to be so happy with yourself because you will be free of toxins and have more money to spend on fun stuff at the grocery store!
This is all probably under $20 and will last quite while!
- Fels Naptha Bar Soap (you can buy 4 bars and make 4-5 batches of detergent with just one box of Borax and 1 box of Super Washing Soda!-at 1 TBSP. a load this will last ages!)
- Super Washing Soda
- Vinegar-1 gallon jug is under $3 and you can add the alcohol and lavender right in the jug!
- Lemon Juice
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Bleach-get the smallest container you can, cause this is the only TOXIC ingredient in all these recipes!
Have you recreated your laundry products? I’d love to hear your experience! Comment below!