Lemon water…. A super simple habit you should explore. I am a huge fan of lemon water but honestly I use lemon essential oil to boost my water. The truth about putting lemon essential oil in your water is, while it’s great for detoxing, anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti viral, it does not contain all the vitamins a fresh lemon does.
A mug of warm water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed each morning can be so helpful for so many reasons.
One interesting fact that I would like to highlight is the high amount of potassium in lemons. You don’t hear too much about a potassium deficiency. A few symptoms are fatigue, anemia, weak muscles, low blood sugar, high blood pressure, swollen glands, intestinal pain, and heart palpitations. Ring any bells? Potassium is especially important when it comes to muscle function. Weight lifters are most likely very familiar with the benefits of potassium for their muscles. Oh, and one more thing about potassium-it increases brain activity! Who doesn’t need that? Duh.
Another BIG reason I am taking up this habit is for digestion purposes. Did you catch my post on Probiotics? I talk here and there about my tummy troubles and have found so much relief taking probiotics on a regular basis. The next step beyond establishing a probiotic habit is helping your body digest food more efficiently. You can do this by taking enzymes that will help boost the acid/bile your system needs to digest food properly. Well, lemon water actually does this. While I take THESE enzymes with my meals, I still feel the lemon water can further aid my body. Not to mention, lemon water can greatly reduce gas and indigestion!
Since lemons aid in detox and toxins often try to escape the body by way of the skin drinking lemon water helps to flush toxins out of your body via pee. I’d much rather pee out my toxins thank you very much!
Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water:
- Huge Boost of Vitamin C-this is good news for the immune system!
- Lemons helps stimulate the liver, which in turn stimulates detoxification.
- Helps balance the bodies pH. Even though lemons are acidic, they actually help reduce acidity in the body!
- Great source of potassium.
- Lemon Water is a blood purifier.
- Aids in the production of digestive juices/bile.
- Can help with regularity. Lemon stimulates the bowels.
- Relieves bad breath.
- Helps clear skin-With regularity, lemon water is so helpful with detoxing, not to mention a mega dose of Vitamin C. Beautiful skin starts on the inside people!
- Helps relieve joint pain by neutralizing acid causing pain.
Starting your day off with a cup of warm/lukewarm lemon water is such a great way to start off your day! Why warm you might ask?
Cold water actually slows digestion.
While researching the benefits of lemon water I ran into THIS blog. I got lots of info. as well as a few extra suggestions on how to take your lemon water, like adding a pinch of Himalayan sea salt or ginger & raw honey for added benefits. If you have a second, hop over for a great article!
Oh, and by the way, if lemons aren’t your thing-limes work well too!