Activated charcoal is one of the most popular DIY ingredients ever. I get loads of requests to incorporate it in various DIYs. Activated charcoal is quite famous for it’s detox capabilities so it makes sense to add it to cleansers and masks for skin in need of purging. Today, I’m sharing a DIY Activated Charcoal 3 in 1 Mask, Cleanser & Exfoliator. You could call this product a triple threat! Talk about bang for your buck! You can use it 1 way or all 3 depending on what you need at the moment.
I will admit, this DIY is a bit tricky. It’s very simple to make but not as simple to use. The reason being is that activated charcoal is very grainy and can be very hard to remove from the skin. You might have noticed this if you made THIS DIY from a few months ago. Using it daily as an oil cleanser will involve quite a lot of effort to remove it completely.
Because activated charcoal is so grainy, I quickly realized that it makes an excellent exfoliant that’s not too harsh or too gentle. With it’s ability to attach to dirt under the skin-it’s perfect for a bi-weekly exfoliating treatment.
Using it as a mask is the use that makes the most sense. While being very detoxifying, it also leaves the skin smooth and hydrated. When removing it, you get a gentle exfoliation which is why I like to mask in the bath and let the warm steam make exfoliation more efficient.
Skin Benefits of Activated Charcoal:
Activated charcoal is a super porous substance that is extremely effective in drawing out dirt, grime, bacteria and even poisons from the skin. Activated charcoal can be used for extracting splinters, venom, relieving itchiness, relieving stomach bugs, curing hangovers and it even whitens teeth! It actually has a magnetic charge that attracts impurities to it. Activated charcoal is required by law to be part of the standard equipment on ambulances, in case of poisoning! You can see why it can be extremely beneficial when detoxing the skin!
Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil:
Hemp seed oil is an extremely versatile oil. It is very gentle therefore safe for sensitive skin. It has an uncanny ability to balance overly oily skin. It hydrates skin without clogging pores and creating blemishes. It rejuvenates the skin giving the skin long lasting hydration. It is one of my go-tos when dealing with oily/problematic skin conditions.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay:
Bentonite clay binds to toxins and impurities pulling them from the pores. It is also calming and can reduce redness and inflammation. You could use any clay in this recipe. Go HERE to learn about different types of clay.
Oil Cleansing How-To:
- Scoop product into your hand and gently massage it into the skin for 1 minute.
- Using a wet hot towel (heat in the sink) lay over the skin until the towel cools. This allows the pores to open and softens dead skin.
- Wipe the cleaner off the skin and repeat step 2, 2 more times.
- Remove any left over cleaner with your warm towel.
- Tone and moisturize.
- Apply a thin layer to the skin.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove thoroughly with a warm wet towel.
- Follow up with a toner and moisturizer.
- Scoop a quarter sized amount of product into your hand.
- Apply to the skin, gently massaging your face.
- Massage for 1 minute.
- Remove with a warm towel.
DIY Activated Charcoal 3 in 1 Cleanser/Mask/Exfoliator
- 1/2 cup Hemp Seed Oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP. Castor Oil (find it HERE)
- 3 tsp. Activated Charcoal (find it HERE)
- 3 tsp. Bentonite Clay (find it HERE)
- 1 Heaping TBSP. Beeswax (find it HERE)
- 20 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- Create a double boiler by adding water to a medium sized pot.
- Place a glass pyrex measuring cup inside the pot.
- Add oil, clay, charcoal and beeswax to the glass cup.
- Turn stove top to medium heat.
- Allow beeswax to thoroughly melt.
- Thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Remove glass from stove top and pour into a 4 ounce glass container like THIS.
- Allow to cool.
If you’re having skin issues and need to detox pores and bring balance to overly oily skin, this DIY is worth a go! While I don’t love it as an every day cleanser (and I thought I would), I do love it as a mask and exfoliator. Go HERE for my fave DIY cleanser for oily skin.
This product should keep for around 6 mos. However, I would use it up in 2 mos. to benefit from it’s freshness.