Making your own DIY shaving cream is so effective and could not be easier. You will love how it conditions the skin, leaving legs smooth and moisturized. Oh, and a close shave? Yes. This homemade shaving cream recipe will give you that close shave. It is also excellent for stubbly faces! Men need shaving cream more than anyone so this is for the guys too!
Why Use a DIY Shaving Cream:
- Conventional shaving creams are filled with toxic ingredients such as sulfates, fragrance, parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, formaldehyde, isopentane etc.
- Shaving cream softens the skin, making the skin more elastic. When the skin gives, you don’t have to press as hard for a close shave which helps with less cuts.
- Shaving cream softens the hair, making it easier to shave.
- Shaving cream reduces irritation because it nourishes and protects the skin from the razor.
- Shaving cream lifts the hair making it easier to shave for a closer, smoother shave.
- Using a shaving cream is a 3 in 1! By using a shaving cream you are cleansing, shaving and moisturizing with one action and one product!
Using a shaving cream is an excellent way to replenish your skin. It also helps smooth the hair in such a way that you tend to get a closer shave without nicks or cuts. Using sunless tanners or having a real tan gives your skin a healthy glow, but when your skin naturally exfoliates, you lose your color. By moisturizing often you can help prolong your color and keep it from getting that “ashy” look!
You might be interested in my Razor Bump Spray recipe which works well with this DIY shaving cream!
DIY Shaving Cream Ingredients:
Lavender essential oil can reduce redness, get rid of the swelling of razor bumps, and prevent irritation from razor bumps.
Castile soap gives your cream a nice, fluffy texture and a lovely slip. It also helps for a cleaner shave and washes away that oily feeling you can get when using oil based shaving cream.
Glycerin is not absolutely necessary but it gives the cream a better slip and helps lock in moisture.
Vitamin E is another ingredient that is optional but adds extra nutrition as well as giving your shaving cream a longer shelf life.
DIY Shaving Cream
- Fill a medium sized pot 1/2 way full with water.
- Place a glass pyrex cup in the water and add shea butter and coconut oil.
- Once butter and oil is melted, remove from heat and add castile soap.
- Stir well.
- Place glass cup in the fridge and allow your mixture to cool and harden slightly.
- Add Essential Oil(s).
- Once mixture is solid (but not hard) use a hand mixer to whip your cream.
- Whip until your shaving cream is light, smooth and white.
- Apply enough shaving cream so that you can coat your skin. The white cream will turn into an oily consistency once it meets your skin. You do not need a thick layer.
- I apply to both legs before shaving so that I don’t dip wet hands into my cream.
- Wet your razor and begin shaving.
- Rinse legs and follow up with a body oil! Thanks to the castile soap addition, the shaving cream rinses away easily.
Do not get water in your shaving cream!!! Hello, bacteria!
Can This Recipe Be Used for Beard Shaving?
Absolutely! My husband has very sensitive skin and barely shaves but when I complain loud and long enough (or refuse to kiss him) he will and without this nourishing shaving cream and my DIY after shave he can get very irritated.
- Be aware that the shaving cream could make your shower or bath a bit slippery. Only use enough shaving cream to coat the legs or face-too much will end up being a mess and a waste!
- Do not use too much shaving cream. Coconut oil and shea butter in excess aren’t good for your drains.
- The shelf life of this shaving cream (as long as you keep it water free) should be about 3-5 months.
- Depending on the temperature of your bathroom, the cream could melt or harden-That’s OK, the fluffiness is only to imitate the texture of store bought shaving cream. Texture will not effect the benefits. You can re-whip it if you like.
- This shaving cream will melt quite quickly once applied to your skin, that’s totally fine.
I love using this DIY shaving cream because it gives me a closer shave and doesn’t leave that burning sensation when I just use water. I also love that helps add hydration to my legs. If I’m going out in public in shorts or a skirt, I always take extra time to shave with this shaving cream.
This is an easy DIY and I love the consistency. It’s just one more product that you can make yourself and purge your beauty routine of toxic ingredients!
More DIY Products:
- DIY Toothpaste
- Homemade Vaseline
- DIY Spray Deodorant
- DIY Deodorant
- DIY Nail Strengthening Roll On
- DIY Hair Oil for Colored Hair
- DIY Body Wash
- DIY Eye Makeup Remover