Having irritated, blemished skin can be so frustrating. I have learned that in order to find a solution to acne prone skin, you must get to the root of the problem as well as gently treat your skin topically.
Today I’m going to share a DIY zit zapper recipe for acne that will not only help kill bacteria, it will also reduce redness and swelling and regenerate new skin! It’s gentle yet effective and so easy to make!
Despite being in the skin care business, I have always battled my skin. You name the skin issue, and I’ve probably had it. I’ve tried everything you can think of in the pursuit of beautiful skin. Seriously, giving people facials while I had ugly skin was mortifying. I worked in spas and had just about every skin treatment at my fingertips. My poor skin was so over processed.
I’m not going to claim that I’ve found a magic potion that cleared my skin because it’s just not out there. What I have learned is that so much contributes to blemished skin, especially lifestyle. Stress and hormones wreak havoc on your skin and until those factors are settled, skin will stay in a state of imbalance and probably continue to clog no matter what product you apply.
Ok, enough 0f the Debbie Downer routine-there are things you can do in order to manage your skin that will help immensely. Essential oils are an excellent choice when trying to clear up acne. Many essential oils are antibacterial, antiviral, anti fungal and anti inflammatory-those are amazing words when it comes to acne!
Over Sensitized Skin from Harsh Products
What I love about DIY recipes for breakouts is that they are gentle. Harsh exfoliants and chemicals might clear your skin for a time, but holy crap!!! Your poor skin will pay the price.
Many people that suffer from clogged skin actually cause their skin to be over sensitive and overly dry by using strong products. Sensitive skin is something you don’t need when trying to clear up zits and dry skin can add to the pain of the blemishes! It becomes a vicious cycle-dried out skin tries to compensate by producing more oil which leads to more clogs. Sensitive skin reacts which leads to more blemishes.
Essential Oil Benefits for Blemished Skin:
- Relieves Cystic Acne
- Balance Excessive Oiliness
- Clears Blackheads
- Reduces Sensitivity
- Fades Scarring
How to Use Essential Oils for Zit Zapping:
- Tea Tree and Frankincense are gentle enough that most skin types don’t need to dilute them. They can be applied straight to a blemish.
- You can also create a toner using apple cider vinegar that will help relieve acne as well.
- A light moisturizer can be made by mixing essential oils with aloe vera gel will give your skin oil free hydration, which is perfect for oily skin.
- You can also use jojoba oil mixed with essential oils. Jojoba oil is very close to the skins own sebum. When jojoba oil is applied to the skin, it helps your skin to stop over producing oils. Jojoba oil delivers moisture to dried out, sensitive skin.
- Hemp Oil is fantastic for breakouts and pairs well with essential oils for a fast absorbing serum/moisturizer.
- Making a DIY clay mask with essential oils can help purge the pores of bacteria, sebum and dirt.
More DIY Recipes for Acne
- Willow Bark Skin Serum
- Green Tea Toner (for Acne Prone Skin)
- Acne Clearing Moisturizer
- French Green Clay Mask
- DIY Clay & Tamanu Oil Cleanser
DIY Zit Zapper Recipe Ingredients
Tea Tree-Not only does melaleuca fight infection, it also helps accelerate the healing process. I would say it is the most popular essential oil used in treating acne due to it’s ability to kill bacteria and fungus. It has been compared to benzoyl peroxide which is incredibly effective in treating acne, but very harsh on the skin. That’s the beauty of melaleuca-you have the benefits without the side effects. According to holistic dermatologist, Dr. Jeanette Jacknin, tea tree essential oil is one of the best natural ingredients to treat acne.
Ylang Ylang-Ylang Ylang is the balancing oil. It helps to control sebum production in the skin. It also is wonderful for tightening the skin and toning!
Frankincense-I love frankincense for 2 reasons. One, it’s super gentle and two, it helps regenerate damaged skin.
Tamanu Oil is not an essential oil but I added it to this roll on because it is one of the best, if not the best oil for oily/acne prone skin. It accelerates wound healing and has strong antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties.
Skin Benefits of Tamanu Oil
- Reduces scarring
- Reduces stretch marks
- Accelerated healing for scrapes and acne
- Encourages skin cell regeneration
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces Pain
- Offers muscle and joint relief
- Contains a high amount of antioxidants
Isn’t this info. awesome?! I think this is great news for those of you suffering from clogged skin! You don’t have to wreck and ravage your skin in pursuit of a clear face!
Spot treatments are especially helpful when dealing with break outs. When I think of the most effective formula I could make I realized, it’s just almost too simple for a post. Tea Tree is just the best option, but adding a few more oils in for added healing and regenerating benefits might not be such a bad idea!
DIY Zit Zapper Recipe for Acne
- 10 ml Roll on bottle (find it HERE)
- Top off with Tamanu Oil (find it HERE)
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 15 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 5 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (find it HERE)
- 10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (find it HERE)
In order to see results, you must be using quality essential oils. There is a huge difference in the quality of many essential oils. I use Mountain Rose Herbs for all my essential oils. MRH oils are organic, unadulterated oils and they have an in-house aromatherapist to ensure quality. I prefer MRH because they are reasonably priced and instead of dealing with a pyramid scheme company, you just head to the website and order!
P.S. Due to the popularity of this recipe, I now sale this roll on in my Etsy shop! Find it HERE.