Making your own skin care is so fun and rewarding and the possibilities are endless. Everyone’s skin responds to different ingredients, so when you find a combo that works, stick with it. I’m going to share with you a mask that will sooth sensitive skin, nourish dry skin and accelerate healing. This DIY Skin Soothing Mask is fantastic if you suffer from allergies. Allergies can effect the skin substantially. I get allergy bumps, hives and puffiness and this mask calms my skin down with one application. A big dose of antioxidants plus the soothing properties of coconut oil and honey can work wonders on stressed skin.
This DIY Skin Soothing Mask is also amazing for burns and broken skin. It can do wonders with accelerating healing but also helps relieve pain.
Ingredients for Skin Soothing Mask:
Unrefined Coconut oil-Coconut oil is antibacterial and anti fungal. The amazing thing about coconut oil is how healing it is. I use it in my homemade neosporin for this reason-it heals wounds at a rate you won’t believe!
Raw Honey-Honey is a perfect skin care staple. If you don’t have a jar of raw honey in your bathroom, you should! It is awesome as a mask by itself. Did you know you can even cleanse with it? Find out how HERE.
- Reduces inflammation
- Anti bacterial
- Anti microbial
- Reduces redness
- Reduces allergy reactions
This mask is very easy to make. You can simply just mix equal parts of coconut oil and raw honey, it’s that easy. I like to WHIP mine for 2 reasons 1. It’s fun. 2. A whipped mask is easier to scoop.
Essential Oils will boost your mask greatly!
- Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint are the allergy trifecta-these 3 together can greatly reduce allergy symptoms.
- Lavender and/or Chamomile are great for sensitive, stressed out skin.
- Myrrh and sandalwood are excellent for dry skin.
- Frankincense and Carrot Seed Oil are amazing for regenerating damaged skin cells.
- Tea Tree, Ylang Ylang and Lemon are great for acne/oily prone skin.
I get all my essential oils at Mountain Rose Herbs for several reasons. One, they are organic. Organic essential oils are hard to come by. Also, they are affordable. I believe they are very fairly priced especially when compared to the ridiculous prices of several popular MLM companies. Their oils are also ethically and responsibly sourced. To me, Mountain Rose Herbs is a no brainer when it comes to essential oils. Find them HERE.
DIY Skin Soothing Mask
- Combine coconut oil and honey. *Make sure the 2 ingredients are not warm. In fact, I like to put them in the fridge so they are cold because they whip better that way.*
- Add essential oils.
- Blend. I use a hand mixer. You can whisk by hand or even use a kitchen aid mixer.
- Whisk until your mask is fluffy!
- Transfer to a 4 ounce glass shallow, wide mouthed jar.
- Apply a THIN layer all over skin. If you apply it too thick, it will melt and drip off your face.
- Leave mask on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water.
Skin Care Tip:
I try to use a French Green Clay mask weekly. It is incredibly detoxing and tightening-it also encourages TONS of blood flow to the skin. For more info on french green clay go HERE. The only problem with a clay mask is that along with the yuck it pull out of your pores, it also pulls out moisture. That’s why I have to use a nourishing mask soon after. Since french green clay isn’t the best for moisturizing, I like to use it in conjunction with this mask.
If you suffer from acne, I do not recommend using coconut oil. It is a 4 on the comedogenic scale, meaning that it could clog your pores-10 being the worst and 0 the best. But-if you don’t use coconut oil, your mask won’t whip. However, honey is excellent for acne. I would suggest using just honey as a mask.
This mask is great to have on hand. It is safe and gentle and can be used on children as well. As far as the shelf life, I honestly am not sure. I’ve heard some say that honey will drastically hurt the shelf life but then I’ve heard more often that honey does not spoil. Common sense tells me that since coconut oil is quite stable, adding honey will not effect the shelf life. Please comment if you have more information!