Exfoliating is one of the best things you can do for your skin. As we age our skin does not slough off dead skin cells as efficiently as it once did. If you have layers of dead skin build up, you’ll notice your skin may look dull, ashy and unhealthy. Luckily, after exfoliating one time you can see huge improvements immediately!
Being an Aesthetician I am no stranger to glycolic peels, microdermabrasion and laser treatments. In fact, I’ve had my own fair share of professional exfoliation on my own skin. I can attest to big results with one treatment as well as an increased absorption of other anti aging products.
Benefits of Homemade Scrubs:
- Increased circulation
- Well moisturized skin
- Brighter skin tone
- Enhanced absorption of skin care products
- Encourage lymphatic drainage
- Smoother, softer skin
- Closer shave
- Stimulates the production of collagen
- Removes sunless tanner
- Helps prevent ingrown hairs
How Often Should You Use a DIY Body Scrub?
You can use an at home scrub 1-3 times a week. More than that could cause irritation.
Over exfoliating can give you the opposite results you were aiming for. Trust me on this, I’ve been guilty of exfoliating too aggressively and too often and ended up with over sensitive skin that became prone to blemishes. Exfoliating too much can even result in the skin over producing oil.
- Brown sugar is great for sensitive skin types as well as the face.
- Fresh coffee grounds-check out my coffee scrub recipe.
- White sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Epsom salt-take caution with salt because it can be too irritating
- Pureed oatmeal
- Pureed dried herbs
- Clay-I love adding clay to oil cleansers for gentle exfoliation.
Adding Honey= Big Benefits!
Not only can honey help repair damaged skin, it also protects against UV damage.
Manuka honey has medicinal properties and can be a great addition to a body scrub.
Honey can easily be combined with granules and oil to make a skin-nourishing body scrub with major healing action!
Did you know that honey can even be used to cleanse your skin?
DIY Body Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup jojoba oil (find it HERE)
- 2 TBSP. honey (find it HERE)
- 20 drops lemon essential oil (find it HERE)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil (find it HERE)
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil (find it HERE)
Mix ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a jar
How to Scrub Properly:
- Apply the scrub with your fingertips.
- Scrub your body in a circular motion and move inward.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Leaving skin slightly damp, apply a body oil.
The Best Time to Scrub:
After a hot shower or warm bath your skin softens and can be removed easily. This is the ideal time to use your DIY body scrub. Be sure to rinse well and if you can stand it, rinse with cool water. This can further rev up circulation and close the pores!
Also, I should mention that exfoliating your skin should be done all year around. We think more about our skin in the summer since more of it is exposed but the winter can wreak havoc on skin leaving it dry and thirsty.
FYI-this body scrub can be used anywhere on the body! The jojoba oil is so healing and leaves a layer of nourishing oil behind so it’s great for all skin!
Enjoy the glow!