We recently went on vacation and as I was packing my “just in case” bag, I thought it would be fun to share what exactly I pack just in case one of us comes down with something while on vacation. It’s just not an option for us to run to a local pharmacy and load up on allergy, cold or stomach bug drugs-not when there’s a safe, natural remedy.
I’m a very light packer. I’m the person who packs way too light then ends up going shopping mid-way through the trip for sensible shoes and extra underwear. Packing a “just-in-case” bag goes against my nature but after a few trips of surprise ear infections, fevers and allergy attacks, I learned just how necessary it is to be prepared, especially when you have kids. A couple of years back I wrote THIS post about a certain family vacation where lavender essential oil literally saved the trip.
- I always bring a thermometer. My girls are notorious for getting fevers for a 12-24 hour period and then nothing comes of it. This is always exciting to me because I know their fever is their bodies way of protecting itself and 9 out of 10 times a fever is all they get. But-monitoring a fever can be very important. Spiking and dipping temperatures are normal but holding a fever at or over 103-105 can be very damaging and measures should be taken to lower the temp. I have and like THIS thermometer.
- I’ve said it before and I still stand by this-THIS ear ache blend is a miracle. This blend is great for swimmer’s ear and ear infections. Plane flights can clog up ears as well as swimming. You want to encourage draining as well as kill infection and pain. This blend does all 3 and works within a couple of hours, no joke.
- My homemade healing salve soothes itchy skin, bug bites and accelerates healing. On top of that it’s a great lip balm and moisturizer!
- My homemade vapor rub helps relieve stuffed up chests and noses as well as relieves allergies. My vapor rub can also be rubbed on sore muscles for reduced swelling and pain relief.
- A couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ear at the very start of a cold can stop it in it’s tracks! Read more on that HERE.
- Lavender does it all-again-it’s totally the Swiss Army Knife of essential oils. It will help with sleep issues, nervous issues and is antibacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory and antiviral. You can dab it directly on wounds and zits.
- Peppermint is a great pain reliever. It’s great for headaches, cramps and muscle aches. It’s also helpful with aiding digestion. Add a drop in your water or tea for tummy troubles! Also, if you need to lower a fever, peppermint can do it! Apply to the bottoms of the feet as well as the forehead.
- I always bring our supplements on vacation. There is no vacation from supplements. In fact, it’s even more important to take them on vacation because how hard is it to eat healthy when away from home? This alone can provoke your body into getting sick. Keeping up with pill form nutrition really can be a vacation saver. Read about my suggested supplement for kids HERE.
My “Just-In-Case” Vacation Checklist:
- Ear Ache Blend
- Homemade Healing Salve
- Homemade Vapor Rub
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Supplements (read what my children take HERE)
Unfortunately, all sorts of health issues can arise on vacations. It’s funny how our body knows to hold it together while we’re pushing to finish a deadline or finals and as soon as you accomplish the goal and are able to relax- BOOM-your body gives into a sickness. It’s very common to get sick on vacations and so important to not anticipate an illness but be prepared.
I hope this has been a helpful post. I’ve been on an essential oils/health post kick lately, huh? I go all nature-girl in the spring since there’s a lot of outdoor work happening and with that comes a lot of essential oil remedies needed daily. It’s about time for a makeup tutorial so if you all have any requests, comment below!
Use my coupon code JENNIRAINCLOUD for 10% off your order @ Spark Naturals-my #1 go-to for pure, unadulterated essential oils.