So it’s no secret-my true passion is interior design. I know I should say skin care but I feel like that’s kind of my “job”. Design is what I study when relaxing. It’s what gets me really excited. My home is an expression of who I am. Rearranging and mixing things up is truly a shot in the arm. If I’m feeling down and blah, I re arrange furniture and mix up my colors in a room! It’s like therapy!
Today I wanted to give you some ideas on how to style your own space in a happy, whimsical way that will benefit your whole household! Welcome to my living space!
Tips on a Happy Modern Living Space
1. De Clutter.
- Organize books and magazines-often these can serve as decor. Purchase magazine racks or baskets to hide not so pretty reading material.
- Buy side tables that will hide laptops and cords. Clusters of cords create havoc. Get clever and hide those cords! I have been known to tape cords down the side of a leg of a table.
- Find large, attractive chests to hide toys-or best case scenario, rid out those toys and put what’s left in the kiddo’s rooms-that’s their space-this is yours.
- My motto is “everything needs a home”. Take inventory of all the stuff that ends up in your living space and ask yourself, “does this enhances my relaxation or hinder it?”. If it hinders it, find it a home and get it out of site!
2. Pick colorful and perhaps quirky pillows.
- I find that making my own pillows saves money and allows me to get exactly what I want. Ikea and Contemporary Cloth are my GO TO’s for great fabric. I also love Marimekko when I really want to upgrade a room. If you aren’t into sewing, check out Target, The Land of Nod and Urban Outfitters for fun, affordable pillows.
- Pillows are where you can really express your personality-Go bold. Color is your friend. Patterns are too. I love Scandinavian fabric because they tell a story. Ikea is perfect for affordable Scandinavian prints.
- Choose several different textures in your throws and pillows. This creates a visually interesting look.
- Don’t be afraid to get weird-it’s a pillow-not a huge commitment.
3. Create coziness
- A living space should be where you go to unwind. It’s the most important room in the house. It should be a place to enjoy time with your family, watch movies, play board games and have wine nights with friends. If your space isn’t comfortable, none of these activities will work.
- Be sure to have accessible throws and floor cushions.
- Choose comfy furniture. I like to make sure the sofa I choose is nap friendly and cuddle friendly! This means, get one that’s deep!
- Chairs are just as important-I personally like to keep my chairs light and airy, but comfortable. Chairs I can move to face the TV for movie night, or I can turn toward the sofa for wine night. Again, IKEA offers just that! In order for my vintage IKEA chairs to be 100% comfy, I had to find small ottomans for them. Now, they are so relaxing and perfect after a long day!
- I like candle light-it makes me feel comfy-Candles create a distinct ambiance with their scent and flame.
- Seriously, every room needs a fireplace. There’s nothing like a fire on a cold, rainy night! If you aren’t lucky enough to have one in your living room there are many options for a fire element that don’t require a built in. My fave is the Malm fireplace-so retro chic!
4. Arrange furniture for your personal needs.
- Don’t be afraid to be unconventional-I love a room with only chairs-fabulous chairs at that. Place an ottoman in the middle and you’ve got the perfect room for a cocktail party!
- My family loves movies, so most of the time all our seating is facing the TV.
- Always make use of side tables so drinks and snacks are easily accessible. Target offers so many cool and current side tables!!
- I love huge ottomans because they are super comfortable and they double as a great place to play a round of Yahtzee!
5. Pick “nick nacks” that mean something to you.
- I love to pick up something unusual each time I go on a trip-something that will remind me of the place I am in.
- I also love to surround myself with gorgeous books that I POUR over. Books take you away-books can be so special.
- Don’t be afraid to get weird with nick nacks too! I LOVE lava lamps-I don’t give a rip what a legit interior designer would say-I know it’s kitschy but they makes me happy!
- One of my favorite living room accessories is my record player and records. I love music, especially the sound of a record. Not to mention-vintage records are so CHIC. Make music effortless. It certainly can make or break the atmosphere!
6. Be practical.
- A living room should always be easy. People should feel comfortable and free to put their feet up. Don’t make too many rules.
- Choose practical furniture. Many sofas have removable covers that can be washed. Find rugs that can also be thrown in the wash.
- If you have kids, arrange furniture so that they have open spaces to play.
7. Embrace Nature-Bring in the plants!
- Seriously, nature does not just belong outside. Bringing live plants inside creates an organic atmosphere.
- Plants are sexy, mysterious and HIP.
- Not to mention-it is rewarding to care for a plant. And green is always a good idea.
- Plants can actually improve air quality.
- Plants inside, give an airy vibe. To me, they give my room a boho/retro vibe.
8. Pay close attention to lighting.
- Lighting can make or break a room. No one can truly relax in a room with bright overhead lighting. Lamps with bulbs no more than 60 watts offer the perfect amount of light for any occasion.
- Dimmers are awesome. I love to dim my lamps according to the time of day or activity.
- Lamps can make a bold statement. Don’t be afraid to have too many!
I hope you enjoy my living room pics and let them inspire you to find your own special style in your living space. Always find pride in your home-whether it’s an apartment or mansion. Your space is your space. It’s an extension of who you are-it is your safe haven.
P.S. Rug and pink and orange pillow are from IKEA. Oh and, my dog, Winston and kitty, Sophie refused to leave during my photo shoot-So honestly, my last tip is that pets always make a room cozy and special!