French women have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to beauty. The French have been benefiting from the cleansing power of micellar water for decades. It seems like all the sudden this not so new product has bursts on the U.S. skin care scene with well known brands offering their version ranging from $8-$50. So, this begs the question-Should we make room for it in our beauty routine?
Let’s break down the new cleansing craze, micellar water-or as the French say me-cell-air! What is it? Is it natural? Plus, could “water” really be beneficial for the skin? One of my favorite skin care companies, MyChelle Dermaceuticals sent me their Micellar Water to try. I’m loving it for many reasons and have learned so many interesting facts about this new and exciting way to cleanse!
What Is Micellar Water?
Micellar water is soft water that has microscopic oil molecules, called micelles, that are suspended in the water. They attract dirt, oil and makeup. Soft water is water that does not contain minerals. Hard water can actually build up on the skin and clog pores and can actually prevent products from penetrating. Micellar water (without any additives) is free of soap, fragrance, alcohol and other harsh chemicals that can wreak havoc on any skin type.
Basically, those little oil molecules are like dirt magnets that attract and dissolve impurities-all while being extremely gentle on the skin!
How to Use:
Simply squirt a generous amount into a cotton ball and gently swipe over the skin. If removing makeup, you might need several cotton balls to remove it thoroughly. No water required! Once cleansed, tone and moisturize as usual.
- Gentle-Because it’s free of soap and minerals, it will not irritate the most sensitive of skin types.
- Every skin type can benefit from this cleansing method.
- Prepares the skin for serum/moisturizers because it cleanses the skin without leaving a film.
- Travels well-Think the gym or even camping trips. Because water is not required, this is the perfect choice for cleansing on the go!
- Keeps skin hydrated-Since there is no soap-the pH of your skin is not effected and the skin is not stripped of it’s natural oils.
- Keeps skin clear because it removes oils effectively without alerting the skin to produce more oil. Plus, it does not clog pores or leave the skin vulnerable to environmental stress.
- Removes Makeup!
- It’s perfect for midday cleansing touch ups.
- Remove foundation, bronzer and blush without removing eye makeup-This is helpful for when you need to touch up your day makeup for night but don’t want to start over. (or your contouring went terribly wrong!)
In my opinion, micellar water is the perfect morning cleanser. I love to oil cleanse in the evening but I don’t always feel like a full A.M. oil cleanse is necessary so a few swipes of this light cleanser will gently cleanse my skin, preparing it for a toner and facial oil! Plus, while doing research, I found that many makeup artist use Micellar water before runway shows because it softens the skin and helps the makeup look flawless.
Should you go out and buy micellar water at your local drugstore? Probably not. I looked up several popular skin care lines such as Garnier, Loreal and Simple and their ingredients were questionable at best. MyChelle’s Micellar Water is safe and they add natural fruit and botanical extracts to combat free radicals, hydrate and soften the skin. It is free of GMOs, gluten, parabens, petroleum, phthalates, sulfates, ureas, artificial fragrances, and artificial colors. Plus it is cruelty free and vegan.