Let me start by saying that I absolutely believe in the power of a well shaped brow. Being a professional brow stylist I have seen how a simple arch can provide as much bang for your buck as an invasive surgical procedure! A well groomed brow can not only make you look more awake, it can also make you look younger! So, I’m going to do my best to teach you my tricks for shaping brows-it’s not the easiest thing to explain, but by the end of this post, you should have the tools you need to determine your unique brow shape as well as maintain it! No waxing required!
Before I was an aesthetician I had my brows waxed on occasion. Every time I did, the “waxer” would give me little thin, archless brows. They would hand me the mirror and my heart would just sink. I’d mutter “looks great”, and then pray my brows would grow back.
I have loved brows since I was about 14. I remember being obsessed with Sherilyn Finn’s gorgeous HIGH arch, that was my goal. Through the years, I have honed in my brows, realizing that my face does not look good with super thick, dark brows. It takes a while to determine what your best brow is so hopefully I can help!
The Brow Do’s and Dont’s:
- Do keep your brows thinner and lighter if your face has delicate, small features.
- Do have darker, thicker brows with a prominent arch if your face has larger more distinct features.
- Don’t tweeze more than every 3-4 weeks. It’s easy to make brows too thin if you are tweezing every week.
- Don’t neglect the top of your brows. Tweezing above the brow can greatly enhance your shape.
- Do use brow scissors if necessary, but sometimes you can reveal “holes” in your brow by over trimming. Always brush brows up before cutting, and go SLOW.
- Don’t make your ends to thin-Trust me, they can easily disappear if you leave a tiny line.
- Do highlight your brow bone to accentuate your shape and make your eyes POP!
- Do find a good brow pencil (find it HERE) or powder to fill (find it HERE) in brows-it makes a huge difference even for those who have perfect eye brows to begin with.
- Don’t determine your arch to be right in the middle or closer to your nose. In most cases the arch is closer to the outer edge.
- Do get your eye liner out and mark up your face, plastic surgery style to determine your width, arch and getting straight, clean lines. It makes all the difference.
- Do use clear mascara (find it HERE) to keep eye brows in place.
- Do reference famous brows that you feel could be similar to your shape before you start shaping.
Tips for Tweezing
- It helps to tweeze after a shower-the steam opens the pores and makes plucking less painful
- Be sure to use good quality Tweezers (find it HERE)
- Applying vaseline (diy vaseline HERE) can help ease plucking discomfort.
- Always pluck in the direction the hair grows.
- When plucking the main part of the eyebrow, take a lot of time, get rid of all distractions, and determine the end goal before you even start.
I hope you gained some tips of the trade on shaping your brows!! Now go pluck!