I do a lot of research on skin and get a lot of emails from beauty sites reviewing products. Even though I don’t use many over the counter beauty products, or promote them for you all to use, I still like to see what’s hot at the moment. So I was reading about a product, Eve Lom Cleanser. It was deemed “probably the best cleanser in the world”, by Vogue. So of course, I was intrigued. Come to find out, it is a balm-like cleanser, meant for The Oil Cleansing method. Ok, even more intrigued. Then, I read the ingredients.
Let me be clear, I’m not writing this blog to bash over-the-counter skin care and be Debbie Downer about popular result-boasting products. I simply want to provide an alternative because I truly believe homemade skin care made with zero chemicals is the right thing for our skin. I love to make DIY beauty easy, fun and affordable.
Eve Lom Cleanser BLOWS. MY. MIND. Like jaw on the floor. This product is over $100.00. The first ingredient (ingredients are listed from what is in it the most to the least) being MINERAL OIL! Not to mention-aluminum and parabens are in it as well. Not to single this product out, because so many are this way, but even the most exclusive product lines usually don’t have a cleanser for over $100!
Women are spending truckloads of money on, what I would call GARBAGE. The skin care industry is a multi-billion dollar business, estimated to be worth 43 billion per year, and that’s just the United States. I could go on and on about how the skin care industry is corrupt and women are under way too much pressure to be pretty and are preyed upon by million dollar skin care companies-but I won’t, because it’s not fun or productive-How about we create this cleanser instead? But this recipe will be free of chemicals and MINERAL OIL! Geez…..
Below are the benefits Eve Lom states-
We can recreate this easily!
The Oil Cleansing Method Cleanser
1 drops Clove Essential Oil (find it HERE) (optional)
- Heat coconut oil, castor oil and cocoa butter/shea butter in a glass bowl, placed in a pot of water. Only turn your stove top to medium heat.
- Once the butter is fully melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add essential oils and pour into a 4 ounce jar.
- Let cool until cleanser hardens-This could take up to 12 hours. Feel free to put yours in the fridge.
- Scoop out about a quarter size amount into your palm.
- Massage all over skin for 1-2 minutes.
- While massaging, run hot water over a soft wash cloth or muslin cloth.
- Wring cloth out and place over your face, pressing it into your skin.
- Once the cloth cools, run under hot water again and repeat step 4 1-2 more times.
A couple of things…..
- Eve Lom suggests using their muslin clothes. Of course that’s another $20 bucks! I like the idea of muslin clothes and got my own from Amazon HERE. They are much softer and more gentle then a wash cloth, which I like. Wash cloths get so rough over time that you could really damage your skin if you’re not careful. So while you don’t have to, I think the muslin clothes are a good idea.
- Clove oil is hardly ever suggested for the skin, especially when you are putting it in a cleanser that you will use on your eyes. The reason clove oil is added is because of it’s insane antioxidant content. Feel free to omit it, I put it in mine and it does not burn or irritate my eyes.
- Read my post on The Oil Cleansing Method for more info. on OCM. I suggest doing this kind of cleanse at night and follow up with a serum or facial oil.
I hope I wasn’t too much of a Negative Nancy today, but if I was, I at least hope I made you think about all the scary ingredients skin care companies put in their HIGH DOLLAR products. Be sure you are buying quality ingredients for your DIY’s. A quality ingredient can make all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to essential oils. I have linked the products in the recipe to brands I’ve used and trust.
The moral of the story? You can make your own products at 1/4 of the cost and with NO yucky ingredients!