So it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know, nail polish has a high potential to be really toxic. The ingredient list on nail polishes is a mile long! The good news is, there are 3-5 ingredients that should be avoided and there are many amazing brands that are free of these ingredients! I believe that while navigating through the skin care and beauty world, choosing natural products is an absolute must. Luckily, it’s getting easier and easier to find more natural beauty products!
Let me help you find the nail polish that is right for you-without the harmful side-effects!
First lets identify those 5 ingredients you should be avoiding when choosing a polish.
- Formaldehyde-used to preserve or embalm-remember those frogs in science class?? Yeah, that smell was formaldehyde-GAG!
- Toluene-acts as a polish thinner. It is derived from petroleum and very toxic. It is the ingredient that helps your nail polish look smooth. Oh and it’s banned in Europe-Seriously?!
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)-This is the ingredient that stains your finger nails yellow-also plasticizers and prevents your nails from “breathing” and receiving nutrients. It is used to prevent cracking and chipping. Also banned in Europe.
- Camphor-plasticizes and used as a rust repellent. It is totally poisonous and should not be used on the nails! (this is different from the essential oil, btw!)
- Parabens-A popular preservative. Many studies are link parabens to hormone issues and breast cancer.
There are many nail polish brands that are under the category of “3-Free”. These brands keep out the first 3 ingredients mentioned in my above list. One fabulously cheap brand that is 3-free is Sinful Colors. These babies are $1.99 each and come in some fun colors! You can find them at Target and Walgreens! Luckily, many nail polish companies have become wise and started omitting many of these harmful toxins.
More “3-free” polish brands are: Butter London, CND, Deborah Lippmann, Essie, Estee Lauder (+ no formaldehyde resin) Hard Candy, Lancome (+ no formaldehyde resin), Le Metier, M.A.C. (+ no formaldehyde resin), Nars (+ no formaldehyde resin), Nicole, OPI, Priti NYC (+ no camphor), Spa Ritual (+ no formaldehyde resin), Wet ‘n’ Wild.
“5-free” is even better and there are a few brands out there that are even more safe. They are: Chanel, Dashing Diva, Dior, Givenchy, Hopscotch Kids, L’Oreal, Nubar, RGB, Scotch Naturals, and Zoya.
Check out my picks for fall/winter colors!
It’s good to know there are so many brands that do not contain harmful chemicals. Now that you know which brands are safer, it’s easier to make a better choice. I had no idea Loreal was “5-free”! They have the most amazing colors this season and best of all, I can pick a bottle up while grocery shopping-always good to multi-task!