Long time, no talk! I’m diving into this blog post today because I’ve literally lost my way. What a holiday season…. Between all 3 of us (and my parents) getting super sick, I’m literally confused, brain dead and feeling sad that school starts back so soon. I am still battling this cold but today I’m feeling more like myself and that excited flutter of a new year is finally here! The above quote feels fitting for my current state of mind and future outlook. There’s nothing like a good quote to live by.
The week before Christmas I decided it was time to take a few days off and what was only meant to be a week, turned into almost 3. I have to say, I’m not good at balance when it comes to work. I guess you could say I’m all or nothing. I have not opened my computer lid this entire time! The problem is, now that I’ve taken this much time off, I’ve forgotten how to blog!
A good thing that has come from my blog/social media/etsy shop break was that I feel more focused on my goals for 2017 when it comes to work and my personal life. I love the start of a new year and I feel that my lack of work helped me to be still long enough to hear that inner voice telling me where I needed to change.
First and foremost, my goal in 2017 is to be a better mom. So often I find myself in a hurry. I’m running around trying to check off everything on my mile long t0-do list and missing special moments that only moms can create for their kids. How many times did I lay my head down at the end of the day and wonder if my youngest got enough of me that day? I know the foundation between my girls and I is strong but it’s the little things that seem to fall through the cracks. Being an only child I marvel at how my 5 and 8 year old entertain each other. They are happy together, creative and always coming up with new games between the 2 of them. It’s so easy to leave them to it and bury myself in work or my own activities. In 2017, I want to sit on the floor with them more and take time to do what they are interested in. I want to recommence family game night and above all I want to stop what I’m doing and hug them more.
My 2nd goal pertains to this blog. Quite honestly, I had a great 2016 in terms of this blog and hope for more of the same. The one thing I would like to change is keeping focus on my content. I tend to say yes to a lot of affiliations because I feel intense pressure to make a decent living. I never experienced this mentality before because there was always a 2nd income to rely on. I think hustling for a pay check can kill creativity, reader/writer connection and even success. I don’t want this blog to become all about making a living-I want the message and content to be first and foremost. Something I’ve learned this year is that God provides. I’m frugal with the money I make and give back 10% to my church and while there have been some really hairy months, ends were always met and then some. For 2017, I want to focus on being genuine. I want to share my life as a single mom more. I want to share what my everyday looks like in terms of making healthy decisions and DIY skin care. I greatly fear appearing self righteous and self absorbed but I have to keep in mind how much I adore other bloggers who share their ups and downs. It’s a powerful way to connect.
My 3rd goal is about me. It seems like this year I have been coming to terms with my personality. I was attacked by my x-husband before he left about my homebody tendencies and called boring and a creature of habit. Since then I have contemplated whether these somewhat true descriptions of myself were a negative thing. For the record, I am not boring. In 2016 I made many new friends that I’m so incredibly thankful for but each of them are very extroverted which has made me feel even more different and possibly less then. So, in 2017, I want to accept my personality traits even if they might be a bit more dramatic due to life circumstances. I want to continue to heal from past hurts and always work on staying true to who I am. I want to focus on being a thoughtful friend who might not be down for a lady’s night very often but who can be counted on in times of need. I guess what I’m really trying to say is, I want to be comfortable in my own skin. Somewhere along the way, I lost that and 2017 is the year to get that back.
A few little things I’m working on for 2017:
- I need more music in my life. I was a musician for over 15 years and couldn’t live without music but since I’ve had kids, I just don’t pursue good music anymore. Music used to be my oxygen. It inspired me greatly and was a life line and somewhere along the way, life became silent. I want to bring music back-this sounds very Captain von Trapp of me, huh?
- I want to turn the TV off more in the evening. The girls go to bed at 8 pm sharp and every night I curl up with my kitties and puppy and watch TV-80% of the time I watch LAME tv. I would love to turn the TV off and read more. I am currently reading books by Susan Branch. I highly recommend her books.
- I want to start to write/journal. I believe documenting life is so therapeutic as well as helpful. I often feel inspired to write things down for my girl’s sake but I never follow through. This is the year that I learn to put what’s in my head on paper. You would think I would be better at it but sharing personal things on this blog has proven to be hard because I over think it and before publishing I talk myself out of it for fear of appearing self absorbed. I want to find a writing medium where I won’t be tied down to how I will be perceived.
- I want to upgrade my coffee this year. I drink Dunkin Donuts-gasp. For all the other changes I’ve made in my daily routine, coffee is not one of them. It so should be since I drink 2 cups a day! Coffee is something many of us drink a lot of daily and when you’re drinking genetically modified coffee beans, hormone/antibioitc filled cream and white sugar your body stays in a state of offense. I don’t like sugar in my coffee and now use organic half and half but my coffee brand is not good so if you have an organic coffee you like, please share!!
- As always, I want to exercise more. I got a spin bike for home and I’m hoping I can get in a good habit of exercising more. I’m tired of wasting time on a gym commute as well as wasting time waiting for a class to start. I got THIS super affordable spin bike and so far, it feels just as sturdy as the bikes at the gym.
- I live on 2 acres of wooded land. Daily, we have the privilege of seeing 2-6 deer cross through our backyard. Not to mention opossums, raccoons and loads of bunnies and birds. I’ve always thought of myself as a friend to nature but never really supported the wildlife in my own backyard. This year I’m saving for a deer feeder as well as creating a bird seed budget. I find our land nothing short of enchanted so it seems sinful to not give back.
Now I’d love to hear from you! What are your goals this year? I might need to add more to my list-I am feeling pretty brain dead-lol! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and if not, I hope you are finding great peace and hope for 2017! And feel free to leave your opinion on what posts you would like to see here this year-more makeup tutorials, health posts or skin are recipes?