Last week, my youngest decided to poop about 2 weeks worth in one diaper. Not really but it was A LOT. Like, just throw her outside and hose her down on the side walk a lot. Don’t worry, I didn’t do it. As I cleaned her she was screaming, legs shaking-I knew she had the rash. Once I got her in the bath I washed her bottom with coconut oil. As I’ve stated a lot on this blog, coconut oil is so healing as well as cleansing and moisturizing. I was out of my usual diaper rash cream that works only so so, so I used my homemade Healing Salve. It worked great, but I decided I would make something that I knew would be even more healing and nourishing and also would create a barrier over the skin to protect. Here is my recipe-It is very simple and you can rest easy that it contains all healthy ingredients!
- 1/4 cup organic unrefined shea butter(find it HERE)
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil (find it HERE)
- 1 TBSP beeswax(find it HERE)
- 2 tbsp. non-nano zinc oxide (find it HERE)
- 15 drops of Lavender Essential oil(find it HERE) Chamomile and Frankincense are also great choices and very gentle for raw skin.
- Fill a medium sized pot 1/2 way full with water.
- Place a glass pyrex bowl with a spout in the water.
- Melt all ingredients except zinc oxide in double boiler.
- Once melted add zinc oxide and mix with stick blender or mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add essential oils.
- Transfer into container.
It will be very watery but after a few hours it will thicken up. It will thicken up in the weeks after making it even. Make sure you put it in a container you can get it out of. I put it in a squeeze bottle (see first pic) which helps to keep it fresh longer. Zinc Oxide is what creates the consistency of the cream to make it more like Desitin. It works with the beeswax, helping provide a barrier that will protects the bottom from wetness. However, it can be omitted.
Remember-Your DIY is only as effective and pure as the ingredients you use. The ingredients I link are tried and true. They are from companies I trust and are ingredients I have used over and over. When it comes to babies skin and DIY ventures-always go with organic, pure ingredients.
For 10% off your order, use my coupon code JENNIRAINCLOUD when shopping for your pure certified, high quality essential oils at Spark Naturals.
Good luck! Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions-I’ve treated many bouts of diaper rash!!