My daughter just went back to school and I’m reminded how germy little kids can be! I mean, I know how forgetful my kid is in the bathroom-I can’t imagine 20 plus using the same bathroom-EWWWWW! Our immune systems have never been so taxed as they were last year when she started pre-K. We were constantly fighting illness. If it weren’t for essential oils, we would have been sick constantly. So what is a mother to do?
I have a few suggestions for fighting bugs. First, I want to highlight one of the most effective oil blends. In fact, it’s so effective, almost every popular essential oil company has come up with their own version of it! Young Living has Thieves, DoTerra has OnGuard and Spark Naturals has Shield, just to mention a few.
Shield Essential Oil is a blend of clove, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. It contains no carrier oils or fillers. This blend fights viruses and bacteria like no other single oil. The interesting history of this blend is that the “thieves” of the plague in 15th century England covered themselves in this blend in order to survive robbing the dead bodies. Lovely, huh?
Many studies have demonstrated and proven the incredible killing power of these oils against harmful airborne and internal pathogens. Shield blend creates a hostile environment for viruses, bacteria, parasites, infections, microbes and mold. Anyway, the germ fighting action is incredible with this blend and I would suggest it as a staple during the winter season and school year.
Ways to use Shield to fight germs….
- Diffuse-find a diffuser HERE. Diffusing Shield kills airborne germs and should be diffused daily, but especially during illness.
- Drop one drop in 8 ounce to strengthen the immune system. I usually do this every couple of hours once I feel a sickness coming on.
- Apply to the bottoms of feet to rev up immune system.
- Combine 12-18 drops with vinegar to create a germ killing cleanser for surfaces.
- Spray on hands to disinfect harmful germs. See below for spray recipe.
- Add 4-6 drops on a wet wash cloth and throw in the dryer for a DIY dryer sheet!
- Apply 1-2 drops to cold sores, fever blisters, boils for accelerated healing.
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to the throat to soothe a sore throat.
- Add a drop to your toothbrush or mouthwash.
AND the SECRET WEAPON……
My car diffuser. Cheap and yet so effective. This little baby plugs into your cigarette lighter and diffuses essential oil through out your car. I find this so effective when picking up my daughter from school. Find car diffusers HERE.
Hand Sanitizing Spray-
*I like to use vodka because alcohol helps kill more bacteria then witch hazel. Plus, vodka doesn’t have much of a smell, especially when up against an essential oil blend.
- Combine in a spray bottle (preferably glass) and shake. Find glass bottles HERE.
- Spray on hands to kill germs.
I spray this on my daughter’s hands each time I pick her up from school. It’s quick and easy and works wonders. I also spray it right into the heater/air conditioner to disperse it throughout the car, works as an alternative to a car diffuser.
Happy germ fighting!